Chapter Twenty Two

David's POV: 

      My hand gripped her tightly, pulling her behind me. Out the foyer, down the porch, across the lawn, over the grass. She stumbled behind me, trying to keep up with the weight of her bag. Footsteps thudded behind us, that's not my dad. 

      Suddenly I flung her from my grasp, separating onto either sides of the truck. Our doors slammed behind us and I jammed the keys in the ignition, not looking up to see the man sprinting towards us. I didn't need to.

      The engine roared to life, my head already backwards as I skidded the truck back and out of the driveway. Her breathing heavy, Sarah clutched her bag to her, throwing glances back towards the house. My eyes flitted to the rear view, a middle aged man fading into the distance on her lawn. 

                           - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  

      Sarah dropped her bag by the door, blankly moving to the couch. I watched her as she sat, staring motionless at the TV. Our pounding hearts had slowed during the ride, our panic settling. Her eyes didn't move, "Do you think they're okay?"

       Her parents. The question was reasonable. I walked around her, sitting on the coffee table, wanting to have a better answer. I paused for a moment, trying to find one, but gave in, "I don't know."

      Her eyes found me, round and brown, "Do you think they know where you live?"

      The thought that home wasn't a safe place chilled me and I shook my head, helpless, "I don't know."

      Sarah nodded, her eyes boring into mine. The fear danced between us, though neither of us admitted it. Then her eyes were gone and she nodded to herself, "I think we should buy the tickets."

      I was starting to understand her abrupt mood changes, the way she slipped from anger to sadness or lost to determined. Watching her grab my laptop, I couldn't help but feel a twinge of awe. Her strength had been pushing us forward since I met her. Even when I had left her, she never quit believing. 

      Sarah looked between the credit card and computer, typing. Engrossed in her work, she was oblivious to my stare. I wanted to do something for her, to help. Leaning into the screen, her hair fell from behind her ear, obscuring her face. My eyes wandered, lost in the smooth darkness of it. And then it was tucked behind her ear again, a movement of second nature for her. My gaze stayed, watching the contours of her face.

      Sarah's eyes twitched across the screen, "I think the earliest we can get is Wednesday."

      My trance broken, I took a minute to realize what she'd said. Sarah looked to me, waiting, and I nodded, "Okay."

      She mirrored my head bob, "Okay. After that we should be able to catch a flight right out and then we'll be there."

      Hesitating, she watched me, "Hey, David?"

      "Yeah?"I shifted, knowing something was coming.

      Her eyes searched my face, looking for something. I fell still, the feeling of her gaze sending a flutter through my body. The silence stood, my mind drifting to her lips. 

      Suddenly she shook the quiet from us, an abrupt change, "I think we should stay somewhere else." Her eyes were back on the laptop as she clicked away,  "If the sepulchrists know where I live, I doubt we'll be safe here for much longer."

      I nodded, wanting to agree. It made sense, after all. But my gaze wandered around the apartment, not wanting to leave my one place of safety. I tried to push it aside, "Where do you recommend?"