Chapter Thirty One, Part Two

Sarah's POV:

      The white sheepdog stepped carefully onto the walkway, giving a slight pause before gingerly pushing forward. On either side of them the swamp lurked, rotting and infinite. Hoggle looked to David, "You're next prune lips."

      Without looking to me, David stepped after Sir Didymus, slowly following him down the walkway. I knew it was my turn. Cautiously, I pressed my foot onto the wooden boards, feeling the posts that held them above water shift in the muddy swamp. The boards leaned with them, giving an anxious creak. I glanced up, seeing everyone snaking their way along the boardwalk, occasionally pausing or leaning as the wood swayed unreliably.

      Our progress was slow, the moon lighting our tumultuous path through the swamp. The water beneath us was still, disturbed only by the constant shift of our weight on the walkway. In the distance I could see spots of marshy islands, even from far away they appeared sponge-like and overgrown. On one of them, a figure crouched, its hands working at something in the weeded shore. They spoke dementedly to themselves, but, being so far away, it came across as a mumbled whisper.

      Eventually the walkway gave way to what looked like a dilapidated boat dock. Roped around the sagging poles were crudely made boats and canoes, eerie and motionless in the dark. Beyond the dock were the shadows of distant buildings, solid ground stretching before it. Quickly, we made our way towards the marshy soil, passing the silent vessels along the way. One by one we left the rocking boardwalk behind, my chest softening in relief as I stepped onto stable ground.

      Hoggle was the last to leave the dock and he patted himself down after joining us, checking for the cluster of jewels at his hip. Exhaling, he looked at no one in particular, "I ain't never want to see a swamp again."

      "I must say, I do agree dear fellow." Didymus said faintly, his hands still gripping the reigns.

      Ziggy watched as David rolled the tension from his shoulders, "Well we're not there yet."

      Hoggle kicked the toe of his stumpish foot into the ground before grumbling at the dirt, "Still don' see how we're s'posed to fight those things."

      Ignoring my friend, I looked to Ziggy before turning my gaze to the silhouettes beyond, "And so is that the city?"

      For a second Ziggy hesitated. It was almost as if something had flashed across his mind, catching his words. But then it was gone and his tongue was back between his teeth, "We need to get to the arena. It's in the center of the city."

      I looked past him, eyeing the crooked shadows. In my mind I repeated his words, the arena. The name seemed fitting but I tried playing it off as I continued to stare into the distance, "A bit dramatic, don't you think?"

       My eyes caught Ziggy's, my attitude fading at his blank expression. Turning away, he began leading us in the direction of the buildings, "Let's just try to get there."

      The city street was unpaved, a continuous rain falling softly from the sky and turning the road to mud. The buildings stretched towards the sky, an occasional balcony sheltering us from the rain. Unlike the Goblin City, the houses here were more humanoid. Somewhere between medieval and colonial, they were built with sophisticated thatched roofs and structured out of wood rather than large stones. But despite being well built, they felt old and worn down. There was no charm about them. Even with the warm light of fires glowing from inside their windows they felt cold.

      Didymus and Hoggle walked side by side as they followed Ziggy, leaving soft shoe marks in the dirt behind them. David and I had fallen to the rear and we listened as the two argued.