The Future

Running at a speed off the charts, Johnny was in total awe as everything blurred around him. As if on skis, he slid to a stop in an alley. A street filled with the hum of cars and people formed a barrier between him and another alley opposite. The noise of the city was like music. Johnny relished in it. Everything seemed so different now, as if he had been blind, yet now could see—he could see a new destiny forming on his horizon.

He raised his hand in front of his eyes, staring at it in disbelief. His very hand was now a part of a superhuman body.

This is crazy . . . how is this even possible? he pondered.

Blinking several times as he contemplated what had just happened, he whispered, "I must be dreaming." While his hand still hovered near his eyes, he looked upward—a wonderful sight. Although there were very few stars, he cherished the view from where he stood in the urban playground of New York—a tiny corner of nowhere. The air had chilled, yet, for the first time, the temperature made the scene all the more memorable. Everything seemed fresh.

For the first time, Johnny felt he could relate to the saying: I feel infinite. The good and bad of life faded away as he looked down to his hand once more, astounded by the fact that this was all real and not a dream.

Across the street, he noticed a brunette girl, stomping out of a Cricket Wireless store, carrying a garbage bag like it did her an injustice. He watched from a distance. Pretty girl, bad habit.

A few seconds passed as Johnny watched. Out of nowhere, a man grabbed her violently. Johnny's eyes bulged out of their sockets. For a moment he was afraid, unsure if he should intervene. He had never been in this position before. Nevertheless, all those martial arts lessons had to come in handy at some point.

Looking around to make sure nobody was watching, Johnny bolted towards the girl, zipping through the light traffic. Unfortunately, as he came within a few feet of the scene, he tripped, spoiling his first haphazard rescue attempt.

As if Providence was his ally, Johnny's stumble actually accomplished what he set out to do, ramming him into the man's back like an unlucky Formula 1 race car, which shoved both the girl and her assailant to the ground.

Letting out a groan, Johnny got up. The man also recovered and attempted to attack once more. Now prepared, the girl was ready for her assailant this time. She raised her arm and the man buckled. Johnny stumbled backward, afraid once again. He was not the only person with powers. Apparently, there were more like him. And oddly, he would meet another the same night he received his own.

She's like me, he thought numbly. What is this? A comic-book?

"Stay away from me!" she shouted. "Stay away!" Using her telekinetic gift, she reached out and threw her assailant into the wall, knocking him out cold.

Tentatively, Johnny approached her. Telekinesis, he noted, his knowledge of science fiction and fantasy serving him well. He had not blinked for a full minute as he tried to grasp what he had just witnessed. "Are you OK?" he asked. Spinning, she glared up at him in panic. She rearranged her chestnut-colored hair nicely to at least appear somewhat normal. The bangs strewn across her forehead did not obstruct Johnny's examination. Even in the small amount of light, he could make out a few freckles dotting her cheeks.

"I'm fine," she answered, dusting off her coat. "You shouldn't have seen that."

Oh, forget it, just ask her. "Ar-Are you"—he hesitated for a moment— "like me?"

"Like you?" she repeated, confused. Her expression faded into curiosity, amused by his wonder. "Look, just don't tell anyone about what you saw and forget I exist. It'd be better for both of us."