The Past

A cooling breeze blew through the hideaway, startling Johnny out of his slumber on the unforgiving floor. He did not remember how or when he fell asleep, only that he had. Turning over, he spotted Sonovan, who was in a meditative position on the cliff outside the hideout, overlooking the mountains and valley below.

Johnny's body ached as he got up. He shuffled out to the cliff and sat next to Sonovan. The sky popped a bright, clear blue, unlike anything he had seen on Earth. Crisp, chilly air filled the atmosphere, and Sonovan smiled in greeting upon his arrival.

"I first learned the art of meditation from my sensei," Sonovan said. "He taught me many things, this being one of the most important ones. The key is to clear your head from distractions. At first, it was a struggle for me."

"Why?" Johnny asked.

"I was an energetic and excited fellow when I was younger. Most prominently, I was a daredevil. It is what led me to the Xun and, ultimately, the Shadowverse. In my rebellious state, I pushed through it for the sole purpose of curiosity. I abandoned my people. I wanted to discover something new—to be a pioneer . . . and eventually a legend. Not a day goes by when I do not wish I could go back and stop myself from ever committing such a selfish act. The time vortex. Everything that has happened—it is all because of me. All of the blood is on my hands. Because I had no place in my heart for selflessness. For restraint."

Johnny pondered his personal history dump. "Yes, but you have to let it go. Who knows? Maybe Titan would have found another way to us. Maybe some other idiot would have done it if you hadn't. Sometimes, even dreadful things happen for a reason."

"I am sure what I did does not even register on the 'dreadful' scale."

"Look, we won't lose. We will stop Titan. How? I don't know. All I do know is that we are a team. And when people are unified, it is said they are impossible to overcome."

Sonovan turned his head and gazed at Johnny intently. "Johnny Sparks, you continue to impress me."

Grinning, Johnny replied, "Thanks. I try to be the logical one."

"Your friends are not intelligent?" he asked, raising his eyebrows.

"Well, yeah, they are actually. Ryan is pretty smart; he even surprises me sometimes. Dustin and Sam are, well, normal, you might say."

"It is 'normal' to be unintelligent?" Sonovan laughed.

Johnny chuckled. "No? Yes? There is no definitive answer to that question, in all honesty."

"Things must be very different on Earth now."

"You could say that, but there are still very, very smart people there too. Humanity has advanced more in the last century than in the last ten thousand years. And in my opinion, any 'stupid' person can learn, with time. You only need effort and will."

"I would be glad to see it. What you say is wise, Mr. Sparks. That is the precise thing you will use against Titan. Your effort and your will. What about Jane and your other friend? Are they intelligent?" The breeze picked up. However, the chilly zephyr was a wholesome one, the soothing air bringing hints of paradise with its graceful touch.

"Yeah, sometimes I think Jane's smarter than any of us," Johnny said. "She doesn't talk much. Quiet ones are usually full of ideas."

Sonovan chuckled. "And your other friend?"

"Rose. Yeah, she is a good mix of all of us. A bit of a daredevil, smart, funny, and loyal. Problem is, she tends to leap without looking. Got a hell of a temper too."

"I am sorry this has happened to her."

"We'll get her back," Johnny said hopefully. "She's a fighter."