The Mind

The throne room stood in eerie silence when the elevator opened. On the opposite side of the huge room, Titan stood with his arms crossed in front of him. As usual, he was staring out of the giant window, but turned when he heard their entry.

"My young heroes," he greeted, lowering his head to them. "Very nice outfits. Vibrant." Their suits illuminated in each specific color. Fortification mode had been switched on, initiating the armor to form around their bodies like plates.

"Hello, Titan," Sam answered. "You've gotten smaller since our last meeting."

He almost laughed. "I only want to help the humans, like you," responded Titan, armor clattering on the floor. "My destiny lies in spreading the Justification throughout the universe. We do not need to be adversaries."

"And you will find our destiny will always lie in your path," Johnny retorted.

"Is that destiny something you discovered on your own, or has it been told to you?" Titan shot back. "Do not try it, Sparks. Pain is something everyone must endure."

"Trust me, buddy, you will feel pain," Ryan replied, smashing his fists together.

"We know you want Earth," Johnny accused.

"So, Sonovan told you everything, did he?"

"Yes," Johnny retorted. "And he taught us more than you ever could."

"Impressive! I cannot wait to see how much you have learned and retained."

"Yeah, just like you said. 'Come and see.' Come and see, Titan. Let's do this." Johnny backed into a fighting stance, ready to sprint at a moment's notice. This time, he did not fear Titan. He hated him.

"Slow down, Sparks. There is much for you to know before you throw yourself into the heat of battle."

"All right, let's start from the beginning," Jane coolly cut in. "What do you want Earth for?"

"If I told you, it would not be much of a secret, correct?" His voice cut off. "My oh my! I sense something with you. Your minds are resilient. I-I have not seen this kind of will for a long time." Uncharacteristically, Titan had stuttered.

"Glad we could give you déjà vu," Johnny replied.

Justice surveyed the situation but then walked to stand with Titan.

Titan continued, "I know you want to fight me, but please, patience! I am sure Sonovan had taught you that from the outset, did he not?"

"You're right," Ryan replied. "He did. But he also taught us something else. Knowledge."

"Of what? How to be morose and depressed every second of life? Was he not? I shall be greatly disheartened if he was not."

"Let's just say we have given him a reason to live."

"But do you not see? I will bring mankind to the pinnacle of creation! They will be unstoppable!" he bellowed. This might be his last opportunity to turn them to his side. "You, too, can be by my side, with me."

"No, we won't," Sam replied.

"What you say might be true, but we believe in free will."

"Free will," Titan sneered, shaking his head at the comment. "There is no such thing as free will. I learned that many years ago. Your destiny is already inscribed in the annals of time. The future exists at the same time as the past and present. Fate is already written." With those words, Titan frowned. The last two sentences he had spoken resonated within his mind, but he was unsure why. A clue.