A Walk

After Charlie, the President's driver, dropped Sonovan Lung off at a parking spot in downtown Washington D.C., the aged warrior thanked him. The African-American smiled and shook his hand.

Stepping out onto the sidewalk, Sonovan began to walk, measuring his strides, erecting his posture, and keeping his balance. As he passed by a wave of fellow humans, Sonovan felt somewhere else—a dream, possibly. How could this place be so different from how he remembered it?

During his stroll, he drew much attention. His large build, neatly-coiled black bun, shoulder-length bandana, and attractive robes received second, third, and even fourth looks. The proper name for the blue-gray robes he wore was Orskan, and they were given to him by a hero of old, named Orslon. He ruminated that he had yet to explain to the group who The Shadows were. That day would likely be today.

In response to the awkward glances of civilians, Sonovan seized the opportunity to reciprocate their interest.

His deep stares bore into the passing people—men, women, and children. Businessmen and women became distracted from their calls, and teenagers put down their phones altogether.

Sonovan marveled at them, but felt sadness overwhelm him. A momentous amount can be learned from the eyes, he knew. The modern-day man is absent of peace, he noted. They rush to and fro, but to where and for what purpose? Mankind seems to have forgotten the very first principle of meditation—peace of mind and spirit.

Titan had been correct. Entertainment had become quite the drug here.

He continued his stroll, still watching, listening, learning. The city was a grand place, like many he had visited, across many worlds. This was unsophisticated in comparison to some, but seemed to accomplish what humans intended.

Once he had seen enough, Sonovan walked all the way back, through several dirty alleys. Once he emerged from one, he found Charlie's SUV sitting mysteriously in another wide alleyway across the street.

"So, how was it, my friend?" Charlie asked as he scratched the stubble of hair on his jaw.

"Not as pleasant as I had thought, I am afraid," Sonovan said. "It has changed so much. Today's people seem to think entertainment is a right rather than a privilege. Thank you, though. My gratitude is with you for the trip."

Charlie nodded and replied, "Yeah, it's not for everyone."

Sonovan nodded and they pulled out of the alley, speeding off to the designated location.

* * *

Underneath a farm in Maryland, the government had set up a large underground bunker. About the size of three ice-hockey rinks, the purpose of the bunker was for safety in case of an attack. For now, the large facility's function was to shelter the new heroes for five days, or until whenever Titan arrived.

Alone, Sonovan meandered through the halls of the bunker, which were pale and depressing. The walls wore a miserable gray, and, of course, no natural light could permeate it. Thank goodness there were computers, televisions, radios, walkie-talkies, phones, along with a slew of guns and other weapons locked in a safe.

Making himself comfortable, Sonovan tested his knowledge of computers and marveled at how simply they operated. Compared to the planets he had visited, Earth was many steps behind. Nevertheless, since the last time he had called it home, Earth had advanced farther than he could have imagined.

* * *

Jane went outside and took a seat on the porch of the Sparks' home. His parents stayed inside, but Johnny followed her and sat on the bench across.