A Meeting

A full day had elapsed, and Jane and Rose had been shown the new and incredible powers Ryan, Sam, and Dustin were bestowed. Life had gone into warp speed, and there was no slowing down. Everyday life seemed to blur as the new group sped off into a destiny they would never anticipate.

All these thoughts rampaged through Johnny's brain as he knocked on Sam and Dustin's apartment door. He heard a few angry expletives, and felt momentarily shocked, then not. It was undoubtedly Dustin's reaction to getting destroyed in some dumb video game. "Yo, Sam, you in there?" he asked.

After a slew of bangs, Sam opened the door quickly. "Oh hey, what's up?" he responded. "What's with the outfit?" he asked, referencing Johnny's slick black jacket and jeans.

Johnny raised his eyebrow. "Uh, don't you remember we're meeting the other two? Like, soon?"

Sam furrowed his brow, checking his watch. "Shit!" He slammed the door in Johnny's face.

Bruh, Johnny thought. But at least the foul language had ceased.

Within a few minutes, out stepped the brothers. Sam wore white pants and a bright blue dress jacket. His hair, per the usual, was styled perfectly. Show off, Johnny thought. Of course, Dustin did not model himself after Sam. Instead, he donned simple sweat pants and a hoodie.

"Let's get it," Sam said. His tone dripped in mischief.

"Wearing that?" Johnny replied. "Dude, this isn't a date."

Sam smirked. "Yeah it is. It's a date with destiny."

Dustin chuckled, facing Sam. "He does not know the way. He is uncultured."

Johnny frowned; face scrunched up in a tangle of different emotions. He shook his head in dismissal. "I'll just ignore that," he said. "Come on."

"Lead the way, sire," Dustin implored.

Again, Johnny shook his head, leading the way to the elevator. "So, how have your powers been working?"

"Like a breeze," Dustin said. "What about yours, speed demon?"

"It's been pretty mind-blowing, that's all I can say," he answered.

"Mine's been cool," Sam added.

"That really necessary?" Dustin shot back just as the elevator opened. Surprisingly, there were Rose and Jane. Jane stood normally while Rose laid back on the elevator wall.

"Uh, this is a surprise," Johnny said.

"To be sure," Dustin added.

"But a welcome one," Sam finished. Dustin turned his face to prevent an explosion of laughter. "That was way too perfect," Sam joked.

"Palpatine would be proud," Dustin replied, holding it in.

"Did you just get here?" Johnny asked the duo in the elevator.

"Yep," Rose answered. "Ryan's downstairs, 'morbids.'"

Dustin smirked at the word choice. With that, the trio of morbids entered the elevator and descended towards the ground. "Morbids" was a word the brothers defined themselves as. It had obviously nothing to do with the literal meaning, but they felt it sounded funny.

The party set off to Kevin's mansion, where Rose claimed he spent his days helping the government and developing new cyber-defense technology.

Despite the monthly conversations he had with his parents, who implored him to find a different hobby and to act like the 'normal kids,' Kevin Moon had always been fascinated with computer technology. He received a doctorate in ethical hacking and another one in cybersecurity.