That Which Is Necessary

The group gathered like a church congregation in the main room of Sonovan's refuge in the mountains of Herook. There were plenty of windows, along with a well-placed, open entrance to the cliff outside, which overlooked the hills and valley below, all the way out toward the horizon. The rain had ceased, paving the way for a wonderful breath of chilly air to fill the hideout.

"What do we do now?" started Sam. "We can't just stay here and do nothing!"

"You must be trained," Sonovan answered.

"Yeah, well, I am a second-degree black belt," Dustin responded. "So are the others. I doubt we need any kind of help in that field." Without warning, Sonovan stood and fastened his hand on Dustin's throat. He then slipped his left leg behind Dustin's and swept. "Whoa what the f—" Dustin yelped, as he landed on Sonovan's back, lying on his hips for a split second before being flipped onto his stomach.

"Do you still consider yourself prepared?" Sonovan quipped.

"Obviously. I meant to do that!" he puffed. He groaned and spit out saliva.

The others, including Sonovan, laughed. "Of course, Sonovan! What do you think? Didn't you see how prolific of a fighter he was just then?" Ryan heckled, howling with laughter.

* * *

Henry's eyes went wide. "Rose! It is you! My prayers have been answered!" he exclaimed, joyfully. "I thought I had lost you. Please, sit down!" He led her in, moving papers and things strewn around. After he closed the door, he made his way to her, waiting eagerly to hear of her adventures.

"Thank you, father." She found a place to sit. It was the first chair she ever sat on, back when she had first learned to walk. "There is something I must tell you, father."

"Anything, my daughter. Anything. I want to hear everything." He sat on the chair nearest hers.

Justice drew her knife under her robe.

* * *

"Great, so . . . when do we begin?" Johnny asked Sonovan, who had stood and ambled towards his kitchen.

"Soon?" Sonovan replied.

"Oh, OK, I just . . . but, what are you doing?"

"Making our meal, Johnny." Though Sonovan ate food now and then, consumption was not a necessity for him. The pure Ooris in his veins supplied him with an energy that food alone could never supply.

"Uh, what kind of meal?" Ryan asked, turning to Sonovan while in his chair. "I really hope you don't ea . . . you know what? Nevermind."

Five minutes passed and Sonovan entered the meeting room again, this time carrying several dishes of food like a chef. "Here, have this. One for each of you. It is the meat of the mountain animals that live in these parts. On the side is some vegetables the animals consume."

They stared at Sonovan as he laid the food on the table. Sonovan cooked it to a wonderful brown color, and had sliced each piece in a circular formation.

Ryan gulped. "Uh, yeah, I don't know if I—"

Sonovan waved him off. "It's good! Try it! It is comparable to cooked deer!"

They each had blank faces. "I have never had deer," grumbled Dustin.

"Neither have I," Ryan added. The rest nodded in agreement.

Sonovan rolled his eyes. "It is delectable. Just try it."

Dustin glanced at Ryan with a mischievous smile. "Eat it," he said in his own iteration of a villainous tone. "Eat it now."