Chosen Ones

Titan stepped into his elevator and pushed the button that would take him to the Titan's control room precinct. The door opened when he arrived. No one said a word, since it was rare for Titan himself to descend to their level. He eyed his crew, several dozen spread out over the humongous room, and surveyed the situation.

Several minutes passed, and then he spoke. "As you know, someone hijacked our systems and allowed Sonovan Lung, our enemy, to board this ship. He who was in command at the time, please make yourself known."

A commander with the name 'Supan' on his ID stepped forward. "It was I." He stood about 5'8" inches, dwarfed by the size of Titan. Commander Supan had a variegated skin type, glistening like a rainbow in the lights of the control room.

Titan inspected the officer, then led him to the elevator. Everyone in the precinct watched in terror, knowing Commander Supan would likely never return. Yet, there was always hope.

On the way up, quietness reigned. The doors opened and they both exited. Supan was the first to speak. "I am truly sorry, my lord Titan. Someone hijacked us. He came aboard, somehow, and activated the exotic matter and warp mechanism. There was nothing we could do once he activated it. We were slave to it."

"I see," Titan said. "But how did none of you see him? Was he invisible?"

"No. He was very fast."

Titan's interest perked up. "What do you mean by 'fast'? Does he have similar abilities to Johnny Sparks?"

"Yes, my lord, he does. Our soldiers are well-trained, but they were no match for him."

Titan pondered this. "Why was the shield not already activated when he arrived? The shield is always active. Who was lazy and did not make sure it was on? Thus, making it impossible for anyone to access it."

"Only Claq is in control of the warp button shield, my lord," Supan said.

Titan narrowed his eyes. "Send him in."

Supan left at once and brought in Claq, who was in awe at meeting Titan. A yellow-skinned, average-sized individual, he belonged to the Erse species, known for the protruding fins on their calf muscles and their spiky craniums. Titan was not pleased with him, but spoke calmly.

"Ah, Claq. Greetings."

"Thank you, Lord Titan," Claq said gleefully. "This is an honor!"

Ignoring him, Titan began. "What were you doing when the ship was hijacked? Why was the warp button shield not online?"

"I was"—Claq began to sweat and wiped his forehead— "not in the room, Endless Creator. I am truly sorry."

Titan's eyes bore into Claq's soul. He was furious, though careful to not make it known. Well, not just yet. "I understand, Claq. I fully understand." His eyes met Commander Supan's. The commander recognized what Titan intended. He swiftly turned around and left. Claq now knew what was about to happen.

"You failed, Claq. I have already searched your mind." Titan's voice deepened into something comparable to a growl. "Useless. You were in the break room, drinking and playing games. What? At a time like that? I was about to crush them! We were so close! You are now in the thankfully minute group of imprudent fools who dared to serve me without their all."

"My lord, please!" Claq begged. "Do not! I am sorry!"

"What a fine soldier you were. But fine"—Titan reached out and telekinetically lifted Claq into the air— "is just not good enough." His eyes burned crimson, and at this point, Claq had already accepted his impending end.