Fake Messiah

The holographic systems had been initiated, and Titan prepared himself to make a declaration before humanity. A light beamed down from the Titan and materialized from toes to head into a life-like human man with blonde hair, blue eyes, and a stature unrivaled by anyone. He smiled at all the people who had gathered. Cars stopped in transit, and the sounds of the city silenced. Newscasts interrupted to film live on location. The world held its breath as convincing, realistic holograms of a striking, elegant man appeared in every major city on the planet.

Fixing his now-blonde hair, the image commenced, "Hello, my companions in creation. I am Natit, your savior, and aid in time of trouble. I have been referred to by many names. I am Jesus Christ. I am Mohammed . . . Allah. I am Yahweh. I am Krishna. I am Buddha. I am the Messiah. The being this planet has been lying in anticipation of since the dawn of civilization. And now, after many centuries, I am here. Truly, I am sorry I had not been there for you. But I am here now. No longer will plague, disease, corruption, death, and destruction scourge your people.

"Humanity has been chosen. You are the chosen ones—no other species can boast of such. This very day, all the horrors of the past will cease.

"This generation, your young ones, have such potential to reach the stars, yet are somehow grounded to earthly desires, possessions, and lifestyles. You. You are fearful. Your freedoms and free will blind you. Freedom has become the chains of this generation, and you have done this to yourselves.

"But no longer. Together, this very day, our destinies will intertwine, and we shall spread out across the stars, forever together—forever one. Your destiny is above any other species in the universe." He adjusted his stance and put on a tempting and welcoming expression. "You will be like gods, and together, we will justify creation in the sight of the One . . . in the sight of Oora."

During the speech, as it mystified the world, a car pulled up and a man in a well-tailored suit climbed out. He strode up to the realistic hologram, unafraid. "I am sorry, Titan, but we do not accept." Natit furrowed his brow.

Behind the gargantuan monitor on the Titan, Titan stumbled back, confused. "How?" he said to himself. "No. No. No!" Focusing, he could now feel them. His mind had not sensed them, for his faith in their demise on Herook had been too great. I had too much faith. "They will never learn."

Scowling, the hologram muttered, "So be it." He then dematerialized.

"The enemies are here," Titan growled, turning to Solis. "They always find a way."

"What is your command?" replied Solis, equally angered.

"Complete what we came here to complete. Set course for the Gobi Desert. There, we will park the Titan."

"And the machine?"

"Leave that to me. I will take it and a legion of soldiers. Keep another thousand on the sands of the Gobi as a distraction. Make it more per your discretion. As for you and I, our destination is the Valley of Megiddo, in Israel. It is poetic. If somehow all else fails, rendezvous with the fleet and order them to destroy everything in sight. All ten million of my Special Forces must then be expelled onto the surface."

Scuttling about, Solis made ready for the invasion. "May the Shadowverse be with you, my lord."

"Let us hope not," Titan replied.

* * *

The Shadowforce left the bunker. "Mr. President, where is the ship?" Johnny asked through his communicator.

"The Gobi Desert."

"The Gobi? Why?"

"I don't know, but you had better get over there."