Higher Calling

Jane looked up from her bathroom mirror, having just finished reverting back to casual clothes at the sound of Johnny's knock. "I'm coming!" she called, rushing to open the creaky entrance.

Johnny smiled and awkwardly waved once at the sight of her oversized long-sleeved shirt. She welcomed him inside.

"I am sorry," Jane started. "I shouldn't have had you come all the way here. I just . . . I needed to see someone. I was feeling crazy," she said, tumbling her fingers together, then tucking her hair behind her ears, periodically glancing at Johnny. Her heart was racing. She was embarrassed for calling him, and yet she was happy to see him.

Johnny frowned and waved her apology off. "Don't apologize. It's my pleasure, Jane."

In response to his kindness, she simply nodded, chestnut bangs slightly dancing with each movement.

"Wow, nice place you got here," he said as he looked around. "It's even nicer than mine."

"Yeah, I've been working on it. I'm considering adding a flower pot on the window sill," she pointed. "I just hope I can keep it healthy."

"Oh, OK. Super," he acknowledged. "So, what happened?" he asked, glancing surreptitiously at her bed. It was a neat little thing, unfortunately perfectly sized for just one person.

"Oh! Sorry, I almost forgot why you were here," she replied. "It was all very trauma-inducing."

Johnny watched as her eyes searched frantically for something. Her anxiety was obvious by the way she bit her lip. "You OK?" he asked as she glanced up at him. "You look like you need something."

"What? Oh, sorry. I just really need a coffee right now," she answered. "Want some?"

Ignoring the last part of her sentence, he blazed over to the counter and started the coffee machine. Then he came right back.

"I wasn't expecting you to do that!" she said, a little flustered.

Johnny smirked. "You could say—"

"That you made it in a flash?" she cut in.

"Ha-ha, hilarious," he replied with an eyeroll, sitting on the chair near her small table. The apartment surprised him. She had more stuff than he did. Ornaments and miscellaneous what-have-you's were strewn about the glass table, which sat in the cute, practical kitchen. Directly across from the kitchen and behind some loose furniture were windows which provided a decent view of the world outside.

"If you break my stuff on accident, you're paying for it," Jane stated, almost a bit too seriously.

His eyes went wide and put his hands up in defense. "Geez, all right. No powers."

She smiled. "Good. Now listen."

Johnny crossed his arms and leaned on the table. "All ears."

She explained what had gone on only fifteen minutes earlier. "Well, it all started with this voice. It called me by my name." Johnny felt his hair standing on end as she elaborated further.

"Did it do anything else?" he asked.

"No, just that . . . I do remember he said I had a destiny, and he's seen it."

"What?" Johnny responded.

"Yes, and he mentioned some stuff about my powers," Jane explained. "He said they were sourced in something. I just can't remember . . . I was totally freaked out."

"You had a right to be. I would be too."

She shook her head, trying her best to summon the memory. "I don't know."