CHP. III《SAFE PASSAGE》

CHAPTER THREE:
SAFE PASSAGE

The morning was busy nonetheless in the castle as the Vikings are readying to depart for their raid alongside two nobility. Rosaline wore a velvet royal blue gown with embroidered pink flowers along the sides. Her hair tied at the side into a soft braid with a thin flower crown on her head. Melo did her best job into this outfit because this might be the last time she'll see the young lady. Rosaline saw the tears fall in everyone yesterday when they hear that the young lady was going to travel to another place. Gisla was the most heartbroken and she argued with her husband in not letting Rosaline go.

Rosaline stood at the dock of the castle with a blank face, she has wanted more than ever to go travel but this was far different to what she expected. Her luggage, filled with her finest gowns, was on the longboat she'll be on which is where the main crew will be at. She just has to go to the longboat and they will be set to sail for the long journey ahead.

"My lady." Hvitserk saw the young lady looking at the distance with a blank stare, he came to stand next to her.

Rosaline was taken aback when he addressed her formally and bowing at the same time. Hvitserk lightly grabbed her hand and slowing bring it to his lips. She felt the warmth of his kiss on her hand, creating a heat over her pale cheeks into crimson.

"Hvitserk." She gave him a returning curtsy. Hvitserk let go of her hand but he was hesitant because he loved the feeling between their contact.

"I was informed that you'll be joining us on our raid," Hvitserk commented as the young pair walked down to the longboat waiting at the end.

"Very well informed indeed, but I won't be apart of the destruction when we get to Spain." When they were at their boat, Rosaline tried he best boarding the boat. Hvitserk put his hands on her waist and used his strength to lift her into the boat's edge. She muttered a thank you and found Rollo talking to Bjrön. Hvitserk boarded the boat with ease and sat down next to Rosaline.

It was an awkward silence between the two, it lasted for a few minutes until Hvitserk saw Rosaline shivering a bit in her place. He grabbed the fur coat that he wore and put it on her shoulders, she gave her thanks as the feeling of warmth engulf her body.

"Have you ever traveled before Rosaline?" Hvitserk questioned as the boat started to sail.

"My first time." She said as she took one last look at the castle.

"Really? It's my first time too, traveling this far from home." Hvitserk smiled knowingly.

The two got comfortable around with each other as the ship sailed. Hvitserk couldn't stop staring at Rosaline's direction, taking and memorizing her facial features. After leaving Kattegat, the only woman that took his heart and body was Margrethe but she was married to his brother. Ubbe and he agreed to share Margrethe for their pleasure. After meeting Rosaline, Hvitserk doesn't think twice about Margrethe.

"Do you know how to defend yourself, Rose?" Rosaline looked at Hvitserk, not because of his question but the way he gave her a nickname. It was only two days that they met and he'll already giving her a nickname. She gave him a weird look on her face which Hvitserk was confused about.

"Why are giving me that face? I didn't offend you, did I?" He questioned again.

Rosaline shook her head. "No, we barely met and you have given me a nickname. Usually, I only let people I know for a long time to give me a nickname."

"Sorry, I-"

"I didn't mean it in a bad way, Hvitserk. You can still call me that if you want, it's quite cute when you say it though."

Hvitserk grinned and chuckled. "You're even cuter when you blush, Rose."

Rosaline smiled still blushing. "Anyways, I haven't answered your question. I can defend myself."

"Could you now? Does that mean I don't have to protect you?"

"Well, I've only dueled with Rollo but he always has me win." Rosaline heartily giggled. "Not the best way to practice though."

Then at a moment's time, all the longboats came to a hail by Bjrön's call. Rosaline looked around curiously to see the full but Bjrön ordered men to come and tie up Rollo's limbs together. She got up frantically yet Hvitserk was quicker and hushed her to sit down. Her eyes searched through Rollo's, seeing how calm and willing he was to being tied up. After being tied up the men threw him off the boat, Rosaline's eyes widen with panic, she immediately got up and went to the side of the boat trying to see Rollo in the musty green river. Hvitserk stood behind the girl, trying to calm her down.

"Hvitserk tell him to stop! He's going to kill Rollo!" Rosaline in panic as the men pulled the ropes so Rollo was under the boat.

"It's tradition, Rose. Don't panic, he won't die." Hvitserk responded. Rosaline turned to Bjrön, but Hvitserk grabbed her arm gently. "Rollo will be fine, trust me."

Rosaline looked back at Bjrön and back at Hvitserk, giving the boy a defeated look. He sat her back down, waiting long seconds for Bjrön to tell the men to fish up Rollo. The young lady gripped on the fur coat of Hvitserk tightly with fright and panic. Then Bjrön yelled to for the men to retrieve Rollo. The men frantically and quickly pulled Rollo into the boat, once the Duke was in the boat they cut the ropes. Rosaline quickly ran to the spot next to Rollo, praying that he can take his breath. Them Rollo turned to his side, throwing up the water he engulfed. His eyes were wide open, taking his first breath with a smile. Bjrön saw Rollo live the tradition of drowning and ordered the longboat to continue their sail. Rosaline helped Rollo cough up the remaining water and she felt relieved that he didn't die.

Rollo coughed up all the water and sat up against the boat's wall. "Lia, don't worry about me. I'm alright, go sit down."

"I was so worried about you. I thought you were going to-"

"I'm fine, Lia. Sit down with Hvitserk and calm down."

Rosaline complied to Rollo's order and sat back down next to Hvitserk who saw the interaction between the two figures. He saw a frown on Rosaline, he nudges her side softly. She looked up to Hvitserk, who was giving a smile down at her with his ocean blue eyes.

"I told you he'll be fine." Rosaline smiled at his comment and leaned her head against his shoulders.