CHP. VIII《BUSTLING CITY》

CHPATER EIGHT:
BUSTLING CITY

A cold breeze passes the longboat, inching closer to the place where she’ll be staying for her next chapter

A cold breeze passes the longboat, inching closer to the place where she’ll be staying for her next chapter. Rosaline made her choice to join Hvitserk in Kattegat but she hasn’t decided when she’ll go back to Francia. She promises to herself that she’ll go back in a couple of weeks but deep down she knows that she will never will. It wasn’t a frightening idea because she had Hvitserk to rely on the majority.

“Enjoying the view?” Hvitserk asked as he hugged Rosaline from behind. His hug warms her instantly from the cold weather from the North.

“It’s only water and forest, nothing interesting,” Rosaline replied, feeling the vibration of Hvitserk’s chuckle. “What have you been doing?”

Hvitserk buried his head into her neck, giving small butterfly kisses and taking in her scent. “Why? Did you miss me?”

Letting out a puff of air, Rosaline pushed Hvitserk’s head away. “More like you missed me. Anyways, you don’t have to tell what happened if you don’t want to.”

Hvitserk turned her body around, so their eyes could meet. “I’ve been gone from Kattegat for a short time but during that amount of time, things have changed drastically. The queen of Kattegat was my mother, Aslaug, before I left for the journey. Now she is killed by Lagertha, Björn’s mother, which means she is now the current queen of Kattegat. I don’t know what my brothers are plotting but it is not good.”

Shiver erupted throughout her body from the dispute that is happening to the place she’ll be staying. Rosaline pulled herself closer to Hvitserk’s body for warmth since the winds were getting colder by the minute. She was surprised that Hvitserk didn’t show emotion when he said the news of his mother’s death, it confused her.

“Aren’t you sad that your mother is dead?” Rosaline questioned as she played with the fur coat Hvitserk wore.

Hvitserk stroked her hazel hair. “It’s complicated with my mother. That will be another day that I will tell you.”

“What about your brothers? How many brothers do you have?”

“Well Björn is the oldest among us and you’ve already judged yourself. Next, there is Ubbe, a great archer and the peaceful one. Then Sigurd, he loves to annoy and enrage the youngest amongst us brothers. Finally, we have Ivar, the complicated cripple that our mother loves the most. Don’t worry much about my brothers because your mine and I won’t share.”

Rosaline slapped Hvitserk’s side which made him wince. “I’m not a prize to be claimed or to boast about.”

“Sorry to offend you, my Lady. You certainly aren’t anything that can be owned or kept, but to me, you are my little warrior.”