CHP. XIV《FREYA'S IMPRINT》

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:
FREYA'S IMPRINT

It took a week to come back home to Kattegat

It took a week to come back home to Kattegat. Many of the joyful wives piled up on the docks to greet their husbands with love. The setting was gloomy with grey clouds hanging above, however, the atmosphere was filled with the warmth of celebration.

As the boat docked, men quickly climbed out to kiss their wives and children. Tears of joy and humorous laughter graced the scene. There was nothing to stop the reconnection with the people you hold dear. Even Ubbe ran into Margrethe's arms and both exchanged kisses.

Rosaline slowly made her way on to the dock. The sight of love pained her because it reminded her of Hvitserk. Now that he's gone, she doesn't have a purpose to be here in Kattegat. It was foreign to not feel his presence beside her. She's alone.

Torvi saw the young lady standing lost. She hasn't had the pleasure to meet the girl, but Björn has mentioned Rosaline a few times. The first time, Trovi laid her eyes on the young lady, she thought her to be too naive. However, looking at Rosaline now, it reminded Torvi of her younger self.

Feeling anxiousness and depravation devouring her body and mind, Rosaline felt the uttermost defeated. At the corner of her vision, she saw an older woman wearing an emerald cloak. Redirecting her focus, she saw the woman making strides towards her.

"Rosaline, right? We never had a proper meeting. My name is Torvi, Björn's wife," Torvi introduced herself.

Rosaline smiled faintly at Torvi's bold move, "It's very nice to meet you, Torvi. I heard a few things about you from Björn and I supposed he said did the same with me to you."

Torvi breathed out into a smile, "Would you like to join for dinner?" Both women walked together out from the docks and into the city.

"I don't want to intrude," Rosaline said shaking her head.

"You're always welcome to join," Torvi reassures the girl. Rosaline sighed and agreed to go.

"Thank you for the offer," Rosaline smiled but it soon turned to a frown, "I would be lost without your kindness. You see, Hvitserk decided to stay with Ivar in England. He was my only guidance into foreign lands."

Torvi listened to the girl's sorrow and rubbed her back to comfort her, "I feel your pain." Torvi's mind wondered to Björn and how he is not here with her. She has a feeling that she lost him too.

»»————- ♔ ————-««

Rosaline sat at the dining table playing with the remaining food on her plate. The voices around her were muffled and distanced. Her mind was consumed by Hvitserk and the hurt he had inflicted upon her. She felt as if there was a hole within her.

The pain didn't lessen as she suffered from a headache and soreness from her back. She sat uncomfortably in her seat feeling herself heat up. Wiping off the sweat from her forehead, her arm was prompted up in order for her head to lean. She felt an uneasy feeling from her stomach.

Getting up from her chair, Rosaline ran outside to vomit out the content she ate earlier. Tears pricked at the corner of her eyes as she tasted the bitterness of the half-disgested food. She felt a person behind gathering her hair and holding it up as she finishes up regurgitating.

Wiping the vomit with her sleeve, Rosaline turned to see Torvi with a sympathetic look. Torvi rubbed the girl's back and guide her back into the dining room which has become vacant. Rosaline sat down on her chair as Torvi gave her a cup of water. Rosaline thanked the woman and drank the coolness of water down her mouth.

"How are you feeling?" Torvi asked.

"I feel sick and dizzy," Rosaline replied, drinking the water.

"It has been a long day, you need to take your rest. I'll guide you to your room," Torvi said.

"Of course, thank you. It has been very long."

»»————- ♔ ————-««

Another week passes by Kattegat, Rosaline is hunched over a bucket, her stomach regurgitates all the contents she ate earlier that morning. It was the same routine every morning. Her body becomes fatigued after this dilemma of vomiting.

After finishing her deed, she is overcome with emotion. Using the small energy she has left, she sat on top of her bed and sobbed. Rosaline was mentally and physically weak from all the turmoil she has gone through. The person she loves left her. This sickness is changing her body. She's overcome with depression.

Lagertha knocked on the wooden frame of Rosaline's room, this made the young lady stiffen up her sobs. Wiping away her tear-soaked cheeks dry, Rosaline gave the Queen a faint-hearted smile. Lageratha returned an empathetic smile. She sat down next to Rosaline and rubbed her back softly.

"How are you, my dear," Lagertha held the girl's hands. Rosaline looked up to Lagretha's welcoming eyes.

"Not better," She replied truthfully. Lagertha squeezed her grip to reassure that she is here to help. She did not come here to make the pain go away but she had answers that might put Rosaline's mind to rest.

"Maybe you are to bleed soon?" Lagertha questioned.

Rosaline shook her head, "It can't be. It's a couple of days late and it's never this painful."

Lagertha grew quiet, putting the pieces together. After a few moments, Lagertha took a deep breath and gave Rosaline a proud smile. She cupped the side of Rosaline's cheek and lightly grazed her thumb over the delicate skin.

"You are not sick," Lagertha responded.

Rosaline gave Lagertha a weird look. The sudden change of expression on the older woman made her confused and it made her feel anxious. She pushed away Lagertha's hand from her cheeks and held it in her hands.

"What do you mean? Of course, I'm sick," Rosaline persisted.

Lagertha put her hand over Rosaline's stomach, "No, you're with child."