CHP. XII 《COPPER TASTE》

CHAPTER TWELVE:
COPPER TASTE

Wiping her clampy hands over her royal blue linen gown, Rosaline took a deep breath

Wiping her clampy hands over her royal blue linen gown, Rosaline took a deep breath. It has been a year and a half in England. It was also the same amount of time that she has not been back to Francia or written to Rollo. However, she chose this passage in life and she cannot turn back.

It has been two weeks after Sigurd’s funeral, the atmosphere seems very dull. The relationship of the Brother’s have been strained and weakened due to the action of Ivar and the loss of Sigurd. It wasn’t only Sigurd’s death, but Helga’s. After the disaster at the feast, Floki told Rosaline the breaking news of Helga death. She remembered how much she cried to the news of Helga’s passing because Rosaline never had the chance to say goodbye. Helga was a mother figure in Rosaline’s life when she chose to be with Hvitserk.

Thinking about Helga makes Rosaline hurt inside. Her hands shook as sudden tears flow down her face. Hvitserk came inside the tent, looking for Rosaline. She quickly wiped the tears away, and gave Hvitserk a smile. The young man knew that it was hard for Rosaline, so he pulled her into a hug.

They embraced for a few minutes before Rosaline pushed away slowly. Hvitserk kissed her forehead, then laid his onto of her’s. “It’s time. Are you sure you want to go?” He said lowly.

His breath fan Rosaline’s face. She gently graze her fingers lightly on his face, closing her eyes in the process. “I need to see him, Hvitserk. Before he leaves,” Rosaline breathed out as her eyes open to meet with Hvitserk’s.

He gave another kiss onto of her head. Hvitserk gently entwined his hand with Rosaline’s, leading her down to the river. Rosaline silently follow Hvitserk’s steps through the mildly deserted camp. Looking above the sky, the sun shined in the clear sky. It was a beautiful day, but somehow she couldn’t be happy.

Arriving at the riverbank, Rosaline and Hvitserk stood beside Ubbe and Ivar. Her blue eyes scanned the small boat on the river and the man that stood beside it. Floki prepared his boat to the unknown world ahead of him, he wanted to travel where the Gods want him to go. He was a broken man after Helga left him. He turned his direction above the hillside, seeing all the familiar faces that he was leaving behind.

He walked towards Ubbe. Floki laid his forehead on top of Ubbe as he held his face. Both men exchanged words before Floki moved onto Hvitserk. He hugged the young man, and exchanged words of gratitude with him.

Floki laid his eyes on Rosaline, a daughter in his eyes, it was hard to form a smile. Rosaline embraced the man, weeping lowly onto his shoulder. Floki combed through the ivory locks of Rosaline, feeling himself tear up. He only knew the girl for the least amount of time, but she became a good friend to Helga and himself.