CHP. XV《A GHOST CAME BACK》

CHAPTER FIFTEEN:
A GHOST CAME BACK

Rubbing her right hand over her stomach, Rosaline was conflicted with emotions

Rubbing her right hand over her stomach, Rosaline was conflicted with emotions. She is jubilant to be having a child, but having a child contributes to the pain Hvitserk opened. It feels as if he was close but yet so far. She wants him to be with her, to celebrate their child, and to feel whole once again. The pain is unbearable and her surrounding is not helping her. Rosaline decided that she will return to Normandy.

It was late at night, the sky was a black canvas filled with dazzling stars. Few torches were lit at the dock to illuminate the scene that unfolded. Lagertha and Torvi looked as Ubbe helped Rosaline to load her things into the small boat. It was bittersweet.

Once Ubbe and Rosaline were done loading the items on board, it was time for all of them to say their good-byes. Lagertha was the first to greet farewell. The older woman hugged Rosaline tightly and let go to say a few words. Rosaline saw that underneath the smiles of Lagertha's eyes held a melancholy feeling. She wondered why the woman felt in dejection.

"You are a good woman, Rosaline. I see strength and bravery in you, and you must not lose it in times of great sorrow. Fight your battles and win your wars. Do not give in so easily." The older woman advice. Rosaline took a deep breath and gave a firm nod.

The next person was Torvi, she gave a warming embrace and a delicate smile to Rosaline. Torvi held Rosaline's hands and the latter could feel the doleful emotions through her body language. Rosaline only knew Torvi for a couple of weeks, but Torvi has helped her in so many ways. They created a bond like sisters.

"Take care of yourself and your baby, I'll pray to Freya for guidance and protection." Torvi confidently said.

"Thank you Torvi, I hope to see again. I promise to come back." Rosaline said giving another hug to her friend.

Rosaline turned to face Ubbe and gave him a beaming smile. He was like a bother figure she never had. Ubbe was her favourite brother next to Hvitserk. His humility and kindness made him a good person to put her trust upon. After Sigurd's death, Rosaline empathize with Ubbe's sorrow and grief towards losing a brother. She knew how he felt because she lost contact with her biological siblings.

Ubbe, on the other hand, thought Rosaline as a little sister. She was the little sister that he wanted to care and protect. The times they spent together through England made them close and relate to each other's sorrow. He found a friend in her. The betrayal of Hvitserk wounded him, but it took a greater toll on Rosaline. His resentment and disappointment towards Hvitserk only grew seeing how Rosaline struggled mentally and physically.