CHP. X《OLD TONGUE》

CHAPTER TEN:
OLD TONGUE

Vengeance called to the Vikings, it gave them motivation and power to strive through life without fear

Vengeance called to the Vikings, it gave them motivation and power to strive through life without fear. The night dark and terrifying, lit with torches outside battling the snowy winds. The noise of dogs howling in the heart of night. A mass gathering formed at the center of Kattegat for the sacrifice.

To battle the daunting coldness, Rosaline wore her last gown she had packed from Francia. A silver thicker material fabric had long sleeves and decorated with slavic designs. It warmed her body nicely in the cold as she stood waiting next to Hvitserk. However, Hvitserk laid a hug fur coat her owned over Rosaline's shoulders to keep her extra warm for tonight.

It was her first time attending a sacrifice for the Gods, but she didn't know how it will be done. Back in Franica, they taught her that sacrifices were based on a killing of an animal. This assured her yet she sees no animal near or around the ritual place.

She gripped Hvitserk's arm and look at him. He looked back at her with a smile. “Where's the animal?”

He gave her a confused expression and made him think for a while. Then it came back to him that she was talking about the sacrifice. He didn't want to tell her that the animal she was talking about is going to be a human. He gulped down at her big blue eyes. “Rose-”

“It's a human sacrifice, little lady.” Ivar blurted out as he was listening to the conversation between Rosaline and Hvitserk.

Hvitserk glared at his brother for the interruption. Rosaline looked to Ivar and then back at Hvitserk, not believing such idea. “Human? Is that true Hvitserk?”

He nodded and saw Rosaline’s eye gree bigger. Her heart dropped and she felt her body drop cold of the new. Hvitserk wrapped her into an embrace, kissing her forehead for reassurance.

“Don't worry, my flower.” Hvitserk whispered.

“Nothing to worry about? It's a human sacrifice! I can't barely know who will be the one to be sacrifice.” Rosaline responded as her body shook.
Then the horns blew into the night, shutting the whispers of the people. Men with painted face stood at the ritual place waiting for the person to lead. Heads turn towards the entrance, Queen Lagertha walked out regal and powerful. She wore a white gown with fur on her shoulder, hair put up in tangles with twigs to decorate making look like a crown. Her face is painted with gold streaks and an added owl on her right shoulder.

Walking up the steps with grace and confidence, she scanned  the center of Kattegat filled with fierceness. A man with black, white, and red paint that covered his face, bowed down as he held a sword in front of the queen. Lagertha uncovered the sword, it shined at the moonlight's radiance.