Chapter 8 - Changing lives

Ethan's POV

I grabbed my phone and called her mother, Ingrid.

"Good evening, Ethan." She said softly.

"Good evening. Is Grace there?" I asked.

"No, Ethan. She isn't here." She responded.

I breathed in deeply, running my hand through my hair.

"Do you know where she is? I need to talk to her. It is important." I said, depressed.

"We don't know, Ethan....Umm....Why did you break up?" She asked uncomfortably.

"We didn't break up, Ingrid. At least, I thought we were together. I learned it just a few minutes ago. Apparently she hasn't even found it necessary to tell me about her decision while looking into my eyes." I stated bitterly, clenching my fist. "It seems like it was just me who was stupidly in love." I added, trying to hold my anger.

"Ethan..." She sighed. "Grace didn't explain to me why she had decided it. But I know my daughter very well. She loves you. She would never disappear like this. There is something wrong." She said, worried.

I breathed deeply. "I don't think so. She just doesn't want me. Nothing more." I said bitterly as sadness clouded my features. "...Umm...Ingrid, I need to hang up. Bye." I mumbled and hung up without waiting for her to say anything.

I threw my phone at the wall. It broke into two pieces, scattering across the floor.

I grabbed a bottle of whiskey and poured some whiskey into my glass

I grabbed a bottle of whiskey and poured some whiskey into my glass. I drank all of it in a sip. I placed the glass down on the table and pulled a velvet box out of my pocket. I opened it and looked at the ring. I gritted my teeth staring at the shining diamond.

How stupid I was! I was planning to propose to her.

Fool!

I closed the box and went towards the kitchen. I stood in front of the dustbin and looked at the box one more time. When I wanted to throw it into the dustbin, I stopped. I closed my eyes, squeezing the box in my hand.

I went back and grabbed the whiskey bottle. I leaned back against the wall and took a sip from my whiskey.

"I hate you! I hate you!" I shouted and threw the box away. I slid down the wall as tears ran down my cheeks. I stared at the box on the floor while drinking.

The sun was shining through the windows, lightening the living room. I was staring into space, still sitting in the same place. My mind was blank.

Suddenly, I heard elevator doors opening. But I didn't look towards the elevator. I didn't want to see anybody. I just wanted to drink and forget about everything.