Chapter 23 - Past mistakes

Grace's POV

I took a sip from my wine staring at Ethan who was talking to some businessman. He looked so handsome and sexy in his black tuxedo.

When I looked towards the exit, I saw a familiar woman. Lina.

I saw her photos with Ethan in the magazines. She was the heiress of a billion-dollar real estate company.

She was staring at Ethan. I couldn't hold myself from getting jealous.

Suddenly, she pulled a gun out of her bag. My eyes widened in shock. My heartbeats increased. I placed my glass down on the table in panic and looked at Ethan who was still talking to the same businessman.

"Ethan!" I screamed in panic, running towards him as Lina pointed her gun at Ethan.

Ethan turned around instantly and looked at me, puzzled. His expression changed as he saw Lina.

Everyone screamed and ran away, panicked.

She smirked at him arrogantly. "I warned you that your happiness wouldn't last so long." She said.

Ethan stepped in front of me. I placed my trembling hand on his back while I rested my other hand on his arm.

"It was you." Ethan hissed as his muscles tensed.

She nodded, smirking. "Did you really think that you could use and throw me away?! I will make you regret it. I will not let you be happy with your whore and bastard." She snapped.

"Lina, calm down. Let's talk." Ethan suggested.

She laughed mockingly. "Shut up! I will kill you. But don't worry, I will not separate you from your whore. I will kill her too." She stated, giving me a disgusting smirk.

"Lina, don't involve Grace into it. She didn't do anything. She is innocent. It was me. If you want to get your revenge, I am here, but let her leave." Ethan said calmly.

"No, Ethan." I protested as tears ran down my cheeks. Ethan gave me a warning look.

"Let her leave, Lina." Ethan demanded firmly, looking at her.

Suddenly, we heard gunshots.

"Ethan!" I screamed, frightened.

Two strong arms wrapped around me. I grabbed his shirt tightly while crying. My body was trembling.

A few seconds later, Ethan pulled back and held my head between his hands.

"Are you okay?" He asked, worried.

I nodded, trembling and looked behind him. The security guards were grabbing Lina's arms. The gun was on the ground. She was struggling, trying to escape from their grip.

He placed a soft kiss on my forehead and pressed my head against his chest.

"I...thought she shot you." I mumbled, sobbing.

"It passed." He murmured, stroking my hair.

I was watching Ethan, leaning against his car while he was talking to the police officer. Then he approached me, giving me a slight smile.

"Ethan, could she do anything to Nathan?" I asked, worried.

"Don't worry. I warned the security guards in front of the mansion. There is not any problem. And if Lina wanted to harm him, she would go after him, but she wanted to hurt me. So she had come here. The police took her. Don't worry." He informed softly, giving me a reassuring smile while stroking my cheek.