Chapter 10 - Support

Grace's POV

I grabbed my phone instantly and called Greta while breathing deeply.

"Are you okay..."

"Greta, my water broke." I said in panic as soon as she picked up the phone.

"I am coming."

I screamed in pain as I felt another sharp pain in my stomach.

I stood up barely, my hand rested on my stomach. I walked towards the door in slow steps. I opened the door and leaned against the wall.

"Grace." Greta rushed towards me.

I screamed in pain as I felt another sharp pain. My contractions got more frequent and more painful.

"It hurts." I mumbled, gritting my teeth and squeezed her hand tightly.

"Don't worry, dear. We are going to the hospital." She said, giving me a reassuring smile.

****

I screamed as I pushed hard.

"Again." The doctor demanded.

I pushed again, but I didn't feel good. I felt so tired. I couldn't remember how long I had been in labor; the labor was lasting longer than normal. I was getting scared of my baby. On the other hand, my contractions got worse.

"Get him out of me." I shouted in pain while crying.

"Push again." The doctor ordered.

"I can not anymore." I admitted, crying.

"Grace, you have to. Now breathe deeply and push hard." The doctor demanded.

I screamed in pain, closing my eyes shut and pushed again.

"The baby starts showing signs of distress." The nurse informed in panic.

"What?!" I shouted, scared.

"Grace, now gather your strength and push." The doctor demanded.

I gritted my teeth in pain and pushed again.

"The baby heart rate is slowing." The nurse informed.

"Shit!" The doctor exclaimed.

My mind got fuzzy. I didn't feel fine. My vision was blurry. I heard some panicked voices, but I couldn't manage to listen to what they were saying. Suddenly, my vision darkened.

"Sweetheart." I opened my eyes as I heard a familiar voice.

"Ethan?" I murmured, crying.

"Sweetheart, I am with you." He said softly and held my hand.

"Ethan, I can not. I have no strength anymore. I am so tired. I want to sleep." I mumbled, sobbing.

"No baby. You can not sleep now. You have to be strong. Don't you want to hold our son in your arms?!" He stated softly, stroking my hair while holding my hand.

"I want to, but I am exhausted. I feel so weak." I confessed.

"Grace, just a few hours. Please, don't give up. You have to be strong for our baby." He declared, giving me a mesmerizing smile. "You can do it, sweetheart." He added, giving me a reassuring smile. "I love you, sweetheart." He kissed my forehead.

"I love you too." I said, giving him a bright smile.

When I opened my eyes, I heard the nurses' and the doctor's anxious voices.

"Is my baby okay?" I mumbled in panic.

"Grace, you have to push with all your strength. If the baby doesn't come out in a few minutes, you will need an emergency C-section." The doctor said firmly. I nodded.

I breathed in deeply and pushed again with all my strength.

"Again!" The doctor demanded. I pushed again with all my strength.

Suddenly, the room filled with a baby cry.

My little boy.

I smiled happily, looking at my son.

After the nurse had cleaned my son, she gave me Nathan. I took him in my arms carefully.

"Hey, my little one." I said softly, looking at my son, mesmerized.

He was little and fragile. He had blond hair like his father's hair. He looked so cute. I was overwhelmed with a flood of happy emotions. The tears of joy ran down my cheeks.

My boy.

I placed a soft kiss on his forehead and stroked his little hand. He looked at me with his half closed eyes. His tiny fingers grasped my finger, melting my heart.

"It is me, your mommy." I said softly, trailing my fingertip along his chubby cheek.

Four months later

"Hey, good morning, my little boy." I cooed Nathan and kissed his cheek, leaning on my elbow on the bed.

He smiled at me and started gnawing his fist.

"Are you hungry?" I asked playfully, giving him a radiant smile.

He gazed raptly at my face with his crystal blue eyes and made gleeful sounds. I chuckled and kissed his little hand.

I sat up on the bed and took him in my arms. I started to breastfeed him.

After getting ready, I went to the cafe with Nathan.

"Hey, little handsome." Greta cooed Nathan as soon as I walked in. "Come to Aunt Greta." She said cheerfully and took the baby car seat.

As Nathan fell asleep, I took him to Greta's office. Then I went back to help Greta and Antonio. The cafe was crowded today.

"Dear, could you take orders from them?" Greta asked while pouring tea into the cup and pointed to the table next to the window.

"Sure." I replied and went towards the table.

"May I take your or..." When I lifted my head up, my eyes met a pair of familiar crystal blue eyes. My eyes widened in shock. I couldn't finish my sentence as I looked at him, frozen, my mouth agape.

"Ethan." I murmured under my breath.

He was staring at me in shock without saying anything like he was frozen.

He looked so handsome as always. I missed him so much. I was holding myself hard not to hug him. We were staring at each other without taking our eyes off each other for a second. I lost in my favourite eyes. My heart was pounding like crazy.

"I would like a cup of cappuccino." The girl beside him said, interrupting my thoughts.

I turned towards the girl and nodded, forcing a smile. I bit my lower lip, looking at her from head to toe. She had blond hair and green eyes. She was so beautiful. Probably, she was a model. His another conquest. I couldn't stop myself from getting jealous.

"Umm...and you, sir?" I mumbled and looked at Ethan nervously.

He was still staring at me, dumbfounded. He cleared his throat and averted his gaze. His muscles tensed.

"I... I would like a cup of Americano." He replied dryly without looking at me with a stoic expression on his face. I nodded and walked away in quick steps.