Chapter 12 - The blackmail

Grace's POV

I looked at him, puzzled. "....Umm...Ok....Let's talk in the office." I suggested. He nodded and followed me.

My heart was pounding while I was staring into two piercing eyes. I was so nervous.

"I want you to work as my assistant." He stated in an authoritarian tone. My eyes widened in surprise. "Considering your major in university, it is a better choice than working as a waitress." He added dryly, waving his hand in the air.

"Thank you, but I am happy with my job." I said, folding my arms over my chest, emphasizing the word job.

He gave me a sarcastic smirk. "Sweetheart, it wasn't a suggestion. I want you to work as my assistant. And you will." He declared arrogantly.

Jerk! What the hell does he think he is? He mixes me with one of his dolls. He will order, and I will follow his orders.

"If I don't accept?" I asked, raising my eyebrow at him.

"Then I will close down the cafe." He replied firmly. "No work place, no problem." He added sarcastically.

I looked at him with wide eyes.

Did I hear it right? Did he just say....

"You can not do it." I stated, stunned and shook my head.

"Try me." He said, plunging his eyes into mine.

" He said, plunging his eyes into mine

"It is not Ethan who I know. You have really changed. That Ethan could not be this much ruthless." I commented. I still could not believe my ears.

He laughed sarcastically. "Sweetheart, you killed that Ethan with your own hands." He commented bitterly as he grabbed my wrist and shook it, looking into my eyes, full of loathing in his eyes. He pushed my hand away and placed his hand into his pocket. "And don't think if you work bad, you will get rid of me. Because if the boss fires you, I will close down the cafe." He warned, emphasizing the word boss and gave me a devilish smirk.

He approached me like a predator stalking his prey without taking his eyes off me for a second. He trailed his fingertip along my cheek slowly, biting his lower lip, his eyes dark. I pulled my head away and gave him a disgusted look.

He looked like his grandfather. It felt like it wasn't Ethan in front of me, but Victor Carter. He was ruthless like his grandfather who wasn't interested in other's feelings.

"Get ready. You will go back with me tomorrow." He demanded firmly.

Greta helped me a lot in my bad days. I was in her debt. It had to protect her from Ethan's wrath. Victor Carter had proved to me that I should take Carter men's threats seriously. I had to go back to New York, the city which I had run away from, because my love for Ethan didn't destroy someone else's life, my family's life. Now I had to go back because of the same reason.

Sometimes, I couldn't stop myself from thinking that if I fell in love with someone else, my life could be different. But deep inside my heart, I didn't regret it, even a single minute with him was worth everything. Especially the fruit of our love, my little Nathan was worth everything.

I sighed. "....Ok, I accept it, but I will not go with you." I said.

"Why?" He asked, puzzled.

"....Because I don't want to spend so much time with you. You are not good for my mental health." I stated bitterly. He gave me a smirk.

"No, you are coming with me." He said, determined.

"Ethan, I accepted to work with you. Most correctly, I had to accept it." I reminded bitterly and rolled my eyes.

"If you esca..."

"I will not." I cut him off. "Did you forget that you blackmailed me with the cafe? I will go back, but just for Greta. I will not let you destroy her life." I added firmly.

"Good. Be in my office on Thursday." He demanded in a bossy tone and left without letting me say anything.

****

I put on a white blouse, a black skirt and a khaki jacket. After putting my lipstick, I checked myself in the mirror one more time.

 After putting my lipstick, I checked myself in the mirror one more time

I was so nervous. It was my first day as Ethan's assistant. I breathed deeply, trying to calm down.

Grace, you can do it.

I grabbed my bag and went to the living room. Nathan was with his nanny, Gloria. She was Greta's friend.

When I left Rome, I didn't tell her about Ethan's threat. I just said that Ethan and I decided to try again.

"My boy, wish Mommy luck." I cooed him, stroking his hair. He made gleeful noises. I smiled at him and left.

I looked at the tall building in front of me. I breathed in deeply and walked in.

When I was going to Ethan's office, I came across Ethan in the hallway. He was saying something to a man beside him while looking at the file in his hand.

"Oh...you are here. Follow me. You are coming with me to a meeting. " He demanded in a bossy tone as he noticed me and walked towards the elevator in quick steps without letting me say anything. The men followed him.

"Ok, Juan, send the contract to him." He said to the man beside him in an authoritarian tone and extended the file to him. The man nodded as he took the file and left.

As the elevator doors opened, Ethan walked in, still ignoring me. I followed him and walked in. I was biting my lower lip nervously while staring at changing floor numbers. As much as I tried not to look at Ethan, I felt his eyes on me.

I sighed in relief as the doors opened. He placed his hands in his pockets and walked out without waiting for me. I gritted my teeth and followed him.

The driver opened the door as Ethan and I approached his car. We got in the car.

I was staring through the window. There was an awkward silence in the car. Ethan was still ignoring me. He had been tapping something on his phone since we got in the car.

I looked at him without drawing attention. His black suit really suited him. He looked so handsome and sexy. He looked more confident, willful and charismatic. It felt like it was not Ethan who I had known. He had totally changed. He was not the same sweet, caring, kind boy from university, but a successful, ruthless businessman.