Prologue

17 years ago

17 years ago. . .

Emilia gulped slightly at the sight of the building before her. She looked down at the ground and took in a deep breath. "I can do this," the brunette whispered to herself. "I can-" her eyes flickered up to the bank which was surrounded by crowds of people that were all pointing, the sound of the alarms inside filling the air.

"I can't do this."

"Number Eight," a stern voice said causing the girl to straighten up instantly and turn to her father. "Yes?" Emilia asked. "It is time," he told her, his eyes narrowing slightly as if he were trying to challenge her. Emilia glanced at the bank and looked back. He stared at her with a cold look and her eyes flickered over to his side where her sister Vanya was standing. Vanya gave her a small thumbs up and the brunette nodded in response.

"Yes, sir," she responded and with that, Emilia ran behind the crowd and attempted to catch up to all of her siblings who were already making their way to the side of the building.

She instantly caught sight of her twin brother Klaus and let out a small sigh of relief. Just the sight of him was enough to calm her nerves down a little. Her eyes then scanned over the rest of her siblings and she counted softly in her head.

One, two, three, four, five, six.

She nodded to herself, knowing that they were all here except for Vanya who wasn't allowed to go on missions due to the fact that she had no powers. As for the rest of her siblings, they were all here.

Technically they weren't really her siblings. Klaus was the only true sibling of hers since the two came from the same mother. As for the others, they were all born to separate mothers. The only reason they thought of each other as siblings was due to the fact that they had all been adopted by Sir Reginald Hargreeves when they were only babies.

Hargreeves had adopted them after the strange events of October 1st, 1989 had happened. On that day, forty-three women suddenly gave birth to children during the twelfth hour of the day after having not shown signs of pregnancy during the hours before. All of those children were born with special abilities and Hargreeves was determined to get as many of the children as he could.

He only got eight.

Emilia's eyes flickered over the others and she couldn't help but smile a little. This was what Hargreaves had been training them for, what he had adopted them for. He had wanted to start this team in an attempt to help humanity from the dangers of the world. That's why they were here today. Some robbers had taken over the bank and taken a group of people hostage. They were here to help.