2

It was so cold that it could've been snowing if it weren't for the fact that Emilia was inside

It was so cold that it could've been snowing if it weren't for the fact that Emilia was inside. So cold that her teeth were chattering behind her blue lips while her shivering body hid in the far corner of the room.

She was the only thing in the room beside the pile of wood that sat in the center. She was meant to be training, to be improving her powers. To do that, she needed to be in extremely cold weather. . .in a life or death situation.

A few tears fell from Emilia's eyes, but quickly froze on her face while her breath came out in white puffs. Emilia let out a soft sob and attempted to curl more into herself, but she was unable to.

"Dad!" Emilia cried out, her voice raw from having yelled for the past couple of hours. "Klaus! Diego! Five! Somebody!"

For the first time since she had been locked in the room, the door opened up. Emilia attempted to get on her feet, but her body was so cold that she was unable to move. Her eyes flickered over to the doorway where her father stood with a disappointed look on his face.

"I expected more Number Eight," he said. "Can I please come out?" Emilia asked, ignoring the previous statement he had said. "Not until you finish your training," he told her. "Dad, please," Emilia cried.

"You are not allowed out until you have a nice fire going, do you understand me?" He asked. Emilia nodded. "Good. A few more hours should do it. I will be back before dinner," Hargreeves told her.

He then walked out of the room and slammed the door shut behind him. Emilia let out a small sob as she felt the temperature in the room drop another ten degrees.

Emilia looked at the pile of wood in the center of the room and forced her numb body towards it. As she crawled, she couldn't help but think about the events that had led up to this very moment.

It had all started the previous morning during one of the missions. Emilia and the others had gotten trapped inside a burning building and much to the surprise of her and the rest of the team, Emilia had found herself able to manipulate the fire and move it out of the way so that they could escape.

She had never been able to do that before and now she not only had the ability to turn invisible but to control fire as well. Then she had ended up here.

Hargreeves believed that if she was able to manipulate fire, she must be able to produce it as well. After some attempts of starting a fire that ended with no result, Hargreeves had locked Emilia in one of the many rooms of the basement before turning the temperature down to below freezing.