5

Present

Present. . .

The sound of honking was what finally drew Emilia out of her thoughts. She blinked to get rid of the haze that had seemed to cloud her vision while she was zoning out and walked out of her room before hurrying down the stairs. Thankfully there was no one else around, so she was able to slip out the front door without confrontation.

"Vanya!" Emilia called out right as said girl was beginning to get in a taxi. Vanya paused and turned to look at Emilia, smiling slightly at the sight of her.

She quickly stepped back out and Emilia practically jumped on top of her as she hugged the girl tight. It had been years since they had been together, who knew how long it would be until they met again.

"Be safe and call me every once in a while, okay? It gets kind of lonely sometimes," Emilia told her as she attempted to give the girl a smile, but Vanya noticed. "I will," Vanya assured her as her eyes flickered over her sister's face. "You okay?" She asked. She knew how hurt and upset the girl in front of her was.

"I'm fine," Emilia said, but the look in her eyes said different. She smiled at the girl again and Vanya sighed. Emilia always was the one to hide her emotions from the others so that they wouldn't be upset along with her.

Vanya gave her a look, but Emilia's eyes dropped down so she wouldn't look her in the eye. The taxi honked and the two girls sighed. "I love you, Vanya. You know that, right?" Emilia asked the girl. "I know. I love you too, sis," Vanya told her.

Another honk from the taxi had Vanya sending a glare in the driver's direction. "I need to go," Vanya explained, but Emilia waved her off. "You go. It's not like we're never going to see each other again," Emilia said with a small forced laugh.

Vanya looked at the girl before smiling softly. "Right. Bye, Emilia," she said as she began to get in the car. "Bye, Vanya," Emilia said. Vanya then closed the door and the taxi was on its way.

Emilia stared after the car before looking back at the academy. She could've sworn she saw the curtains by the window move, but she ignored it. Instead, she went back up the stairs and into the house. She didn't give whoever was watching her the chance to talk to her as she hurried through the house and out the back door and into the courtyard.

From the hallway near the front door, Diego walked out, his eyes filled with sadness as he looked in the direction the girl went. It was obvious she didn't want to talk whether it was him or not. Diego let out a sigh before trudging off to his room.

- - -

Listening to Five and waiting until he went to go see his sister was probably the hardest thing Klaus had ever had to do. He hated seeing Emilia upset and since they were twins, it felt like he could feel her pain which only made it worse.