5

[ PROTECT ]

word count, 755

word count, 755

Jade tossed and turned on the pull out couch. Even though her father had been in jail for days now, she just couldn't take his bed. She's always slept on pull out couches and it was just weird sleeping in an actual bed to her, that was probably sad but she did t care.

She heard knocking at her door and got up, walking over to it. She pulled it open and was surprised by who stood behind it.

"Jug?"

"Did you hear?" Jughead asked.

"Hear what?"

"Clifford Blossom, he killed himself. Jason was running away from the family business, drug dealing. The maple syrup was a cover up, so he could send herion places and not look suspicious."

"That's gruesome."

"Also, I have a question.."

"Shoot."

"Can.. can I stay here? I have a feeling Archie's dad isn't entirely liking me staying with them anymore."

"Yeah, of course, Jug." Jade said to her younger brother, opening the door and letting him in, "You can have the bedroom."

"What, are you sure?"

"Yeah, I like the pull out better."

"You're weird but, I'm not going to argue with getting an actual bed."

The brunette flipped through the tv channels, bored out of her mind. Her instinct told her that her brother and his girlfriend weren't just talking in the room on the other end of the small trailer, and she was trying to distract herself.

Loud knocking stopped the girl's button-clicking and caused the bedroom door to open a few moments later. She was getting up to answer it when her younger brother got there before her. He wanted to do what a brother was supposed to do, protect their sisters. When in fact, his sister could take care of herself just fine. But, Jughead failed to believe that.

Jughead looked at the group of serpents outside the trailer, a dog started barking. Jade knew exactly what dog it was and raised up, it was Hot Dog, the Serpents' dog.

"Easy Hotdog, he's family." She heard someone say, not knowing who the voice belonged too without seeing his face.

"Hey." Jughead awkwardly said as he stepped outside the door, leaving it cracked open.

"Heard FP could've named names but didn't." Jade recognized the voice to be Tall Boy, "Serpents take care of their own. We wanted you to know, no matter what happens to him, however long he's gone, we've got your back."

Tall Boy held a serpent jacket up to Jughead, "This is yours, if you want it."

Jughead took the jacket from the older serpent standing there. Jade and Betty were now watching through the crack in the door, waiting for his response.

The raven haired boy looked down at the jacket in his hands then back up to the group before him. A smile grew on his face, then he swung the jacket over his shoulders. He put his arms through, and it fit like a glove. He looked like the Fp did when he received his first serpent jacket many, many years ago.

"Juggy?" The blonde beside Jade spoke up, and Jughead turned his head in their direction. In the last few minutes, he had completely forgotten their existence. He was to excited to be receiving the serpent jacket.

Jade ran out the door, ignoring Jughead calling after her. She saw the group of serpents already leaving the trailer park. She spotted Tall Boy and ran over to him.

"Tall Boy."

"Jones." He greeted.

"Why.. what.. what was that?"

"We take care of our own, kiddo. That includes your brother."

"I.. I don't want him in this life.. I'm not saying anything bad about the serpents. I just.. don't want Jughead to go down the wrong path. I want him to get out, not be stuck in this god forsaken town."

"You mean, you don't want him to end up like you?" Tall Boy said, which sounded harsh.. but, the girl standing in front of him knew it was the truth. She didn't want Jughead to end up where she is. In a gang, stuck in a dead beat town. She's stuck in shit up to her neck.. things Jughead wouldn't even think she was capable of. She was bad, the opposite of the younger Jones. She has done things she's ashamed of, done things she doesn't want Jughead to know.. She wanted to protect her brother from going down this road.

But, all Jughead Jones wanted to do was join the serpents to protect his sister.