22

[ PENNY PEABODY ]

word count, 594

Betty Cooper came clean with her callings with the Black Hood to her boyfriend. The Sugar Man was caught and behind bars.

Now, Jughead Jones was at Pop's Chock' Lit Shoppe talking to, no other than, Penny Peabody.

"I can't do this favor for you, whatever it is. If I have to pay you for helping my dad—"

The blonde, Penny, cut off the boy, "He needs more help, that's why I called. FP got into a little accident with some Ghoulies in the prison showers the other day."

"Oh, my god.."

"Listen, he's in the infirmary now.."

"Is he okay?"

"Well, they missed up that pretty face of his." Penny spoke, "The Ghoulies want blood payback for the deal you and that north sider made with Sheriff Keller, got all their higher-ups locked away."

"That wasn't..." Jughead started, "What can we do, to get him out?"

"For that you would need money. You need money. Rich people, rich people don't sit in jail.. money greases the wheels of justice."

"I have $18 to my name."

"Hmm.. well then maybe we should think of this favor as a job. Right? Just a one-time delivery. You just pick up a crate on the Southside, and deliver it to an address in Greendale. That's it."

"What's in the crate?"

"Let's say, um... pancake mix."

"Penny, I'm not gonna be your drug-runner."

"Of course not, you're gonna be my 'transportation advisor'." Penny said, "Do this, and I'll use your cut of the cash for your dad's case. I'll see what we can do about getting him an early release."

"Okay, okay, I'll do it."

"Good boy. Okay, now you just go make the drop off and get out of there before midnight 'cause you don't want to be in Greendale after midnight, trust me. And um, this crate.. it's not gonna fit on your bike. Can you get a car?"

Jade opened the door to Pop's Chock' Lit Shoppe, looking around until she saw Jughead and Archie sitting in a booth.

"Do you really not think I would find out?" Jade said, leaning on the table. "I have eyes and ears all over town. Would you not think they would tell me if they saw my little brother and his friend in a truck with a crate of god knows what? Do you really think I'm that stupid?"

"Ja-"

"You're done with that snake charmer. I'm in, you're out. She ever contacts you again I swear I'll have your head if you don't tell me."

"She said dad got in trouble at the prison, that he was hurt, and needed money."

"Dad's fine, you dumbass. This is what she does. She makes up stories to get what she wants. We're going home, now." Jade said and grabbed her younger brother's arm, pulling him out of Pop's.

"Why would you do that, Jug?" Jade said pushing her brother into their trailer. "Don't you think that the jail would've called us if their was any changes in dad's case? You could've told me at a minimum, Jug. I could've got you out of this. Penny is scared of me, every time I come within 15 feet of her she scrams like a mouse. I could've gotten you out of this."

"I didn't know, Jade." He said sitting down on the chair and putting his head in his hands.

"Don't worry about that video, I'll make sure it's gone."

"What video?"

"She got a video of you and Archie with the crate."