31

[ CONFORM OR BE CAST OUT ]

"What the hell.. guys.." Jughead said as he walked into the student lounge, without his jacket this time, seeing his friends wearing uniforms.

"Weatherbee gave them to us this morning." Jade sighed, "Said he understood that not every Southside High student had the means to purchase Riverdale High acceptable clothing. He thinks this will help us fit in."

"Where's Fogarty?" Jughead asked.

"He wouldn't wear the uniform, so they got rid of him.. suspended him." Sweet Pea answered.

"So our choices are, conform or be cast out."

"Yeah." Toni said.

"Welcome to the inaugural meeting of the Swords and Serpents Club." Jughead said as all the serpent students were now in the history room of Riverdale High.

"Which is what, exactly?" Jade asked her younger brother. She sat in one of the desks in an empty, history classroom.

"Well, like I told Fogarty to lure him back to dear ol' Riverdale, were a gaming group. Sanctioned by Mr. Weatherbee, himself. Where like-minded students can meet and concoct world-building, role-playing scenarios, inhabiting fantastical heroes and dispatching mythological creatures."

Toni scoffed, "No, but really?"

"It's a club, for us. A safe haven, where we can be serpents, during school hours and under everyone's noses. We're not shedding our skins." Jughead said, "We're lying low in the tall grass."

It was now a week after the serpents joined Riverdale High and everything went back to normal.. well, as normal as it can be. The other students stopped caring about the serpents and they didn't have to wear the uniforms anymore, but no serpent jackets.

Now Betty, Veronica, Jughead, Kevin and Jade sat in the student lounge talking about Betty's newly found long lost brother.

"Well, he's very fetching for someone who was living on skid row." Veronica said as Kevin took Betty's phone from her.

"Yeah, he's a hottie who looks incredibly familiar to me, by the way."

"Your adventures in the woods?" Jade said, who had now found Kevin as a close friend since the move to Riverdale High.

"I don't know.. but, maybe if we were allowed to meet this hottie in person." Kevin said trailing off.

"Chic's still acclimating." Betty said, "I'm trying to get him to trust me, by my mom is treating him like he's a ten year old and my dad's acting like he's the devil's spawn."

"Well, I have an amazing idea.." Veronica said, "Bring the omen to Pickens Day and we can all meet him. Everyone's coming, right?"

"No, because the serpents weren't invited." Jughead said.

"The serpents were specifically asked to come." Veronica said. Jade knew there was some feud going on between the two. They never really got along, ever. One tolerated each other for their friend's sakes.

"Yeah, to provide security." Jughead said rolling his eyes, "It's like we all on the Snow Piercer train, but the serpents happen to be the ones eating the cockroaches."

"You don't have to work if you don't want to." Veronica said as Toni walked into the student lounge quietly.

"The damage, as they say, has already been done." Jughead sighed, "Talk to you guys later."

"Plans with Toni?" Betty questioned, the girl still not fully approving of Jughead and Jade's pink haired friend.

"Uh, yeah, I'm interviewing her grandfather for my oral history report. The oldest living serpent." Jughead then left the student lounge, leaving the four friends.

authors note: follow my instagram? @ swangswhore