59

[ I COULDN'T DISAGREE MORE ]

word count: 681
not edited

Veronica had just finished her rehearsal for her part in the musical. Everyone started clapping and Kevin spoke, "Okay, Veronica, I am obsessed with everything that just happened."

"Thank you." She said with a big smile."It helps to be off-book and in full costume."

Betty laughed, "Don't he so modest." Everyone turned to the blonde. "You're the literal embodiment of Chris. Never has a role been so perfectly type-cast."

"Betty.." Jade said and Veronica held her finger up at her best friend.

"What was that, Betty?" Veronica asked.

"I mean, think about it. Spoiled rich girl, check. Major daddy issues, check. Bad to the bone, trying to control everyone around her, including her best friends.. check, check, check."

"How could you be so mean to her?" Archie asked the blonde as they both sat in the auditorium seats.

"Archie.." Betty said rolling her eyes

"No, Betty, you have no idea what's really going on with Veronica." Archie spoke, "All this intense stuff at home with her family, the pressure she's under. She's trying to do her best under insane circumstances."

"Well can you tell me how, please? Help me understand so I can let this go."

"It's not for me to say, Betty." Archie sighed. "You remember quickly she forgave you? When the Black Hood made you say all those horrible things? So, really, who should be playing Chris and who should be playing Sue?"

Veronica put her book in her bag as Jade knocked on the door.

"V?" She asked when the girl turned her head.

"Are you here to rip into me, too?" She sighed, "I agree with what Betty said. If there is anything playing Chris has illuminated.. it's that I've been a terrible friend to everyone."

"I couldn't disagree more." Jade said, walking over and grabbing Veronica's hand before starting to sing a part of one of the songs in the play.

"I think you hide so much you feel inside
But I know deep down there's a fire burning bright
From where you stand it might not be clear
But you shine from here"

Veronica even joined in, even though she really wasn't in the mood.

"No doubts, no more fears
I see you shine and the dark disappears
Then I know everything is gonna be fine
Because you shine just how you shine"

The brunette pulled her best friend in for a hug. Veronica felt lonely in this town with a lot of people hating her, but Jade was the one that would always be by her side.

"Guys, the sandbag was an accident and the letter was a prank, right?" Kevin asked the two Jones siblings.

"Seems like it.." Jughead said.

"That's what I thought. But, then I found this in my locker." Kevin took out a piece of paper, "Another letter from the Black Hood."

"This is your last warning to replace Cheryl. Next time, the sand bag won't miss." Jughead read out loud.

"Cheryl, it's a matter of your safety." Jade said as her, Cheryl and Kevin sat on a bench in the school hallway.

"I have to recast the role of Carrie." Kevin said.

"I will not succumb to thespian terrorism and allow myself to be ousted from this production. After the fire that I have walked through, the world needs to see me up on that stage. A dark phoenix reborn in the spotlight—"

"Well, they'll have to wait, Cheryl." Penelope Blossom said walking down the hall."

"Mother." Cheryl said not looking at the woman.

"Even in a town as twisted as Riverdale, students require parental approval to partake in certain extracurricular activities. As I reminded Principal Weatherbee when I told him you didn't have my approval to do the musical and never will."

"So what? You just feast on broken dreams now, is that it?" Cheryl said as the other two tried to stand up, but her pushing them back down.

"Playing a murderous telekinetic teen who kills her mother? Please." Penelope said, "This matricidal revenge fantasy.. never gonna happen. That's final."