52

[ TWO TRAINS RUNNING ON THE SAME TRACK ]

word count: 683
not edited

"Friends, I have an exciting announcement to make." Veronica said standing in front of her four best friends in the student lounge. "I'm running for student council president, against Reggie 'The Misogynist' Mantle."

"You've got to be kidding me..." Jughead mumbled, causing Jade to elbow him.

Veronica ignored his comment, continuing her statement, "If yesterday's dramatic events taught me anything, it's that Veronica Lodge is not a victim. Nor will she ever allow herself to be one."

"Your parents are taking over Riverdale and now you want to take over our school? So what is this? Part of mommy and daddy's evil bidding?"

"Jug, I get that you're in a bad mood because you haven't eaten in—" Archie said, but Veronica cut him off.

"Actually, Jughead, my parents think I should avoid the spotlight. But, I was born for elected office."

"V, if you want to be President, you've got our vote." Betty said.

"Yeah, Team Ronnie all the way." Archie said.

"B? As the Thelma to my Louise, I can't imagine doing this with anyone else." Veronica said, "Will you be my running mate?"

"Of course, V. I'd be honored." The blonde got up to stand with the raven haired girl.

"Amaze. B and V. Now, that's a team you can believe in."

"Jade." Archie said as the she left the student lounge, everyone going off to their classes. She scoffed, fed up with the boy. "What's wrong?"

"I've got class, Archie."

"J?"

"What do you want?"

"What's wrong?" He said, grabbing her hand and pulling her into an empty hall.

"I just think it's funny how you would defend Veronica to the end of the earth, but you won't do anything close to that for me."

"What are you talking about, J?"

"Every time someone says something against Veronica's opinions, you defend her. Anytime someone says something against the south side, my home, you don't even think twice about it." She says, "I just want to know if you're with me, or if you're with her."

"I'm with you, Jade. I love you, not her."

"Doesn't really seem like it. I've got biology."

"We have the same cla—"

"Just leave me alone." She said before walking away from the boy.

The raven haired girl walked into her class, seeing Fangs and walking over to the table. She dropped her binder on the desk before speaking to the serpent beside her friend she didn't care enough about to know the name of, "Scram."

The boy immediately grabbed his things and left, finding another seat. "Really?" She looked down at Fangs and gave him a glare.

"Don't try me today."

"I'm not, I wanted to talk to you anyway."

"If you're coming to me for advice you have found the wro—"

"I'm hooking up with one of the cheerleaders."

"Oh, sweet god."

"She has a boyfriend too, on the football team."

"Oh, sw-"

"Jade, I'm serious."

"Hiram's trying to tear down Southside High by the end of this week? He's supposed to give the neighborhood at least a six week notice." Jade said putting the flyer down as she looked her ginger boyfriend. "Who'd he pay off?"

"Jade, my dad got shot right here in Pop's, because Riverdale was sliding off the deep end... and if Mr. Lodge's plan can sure things up and help make Riverdale more secure for us and our families, then I think that's a good thing in my book.."

"You do remember that I'm from the southside, right? That I've lived there my entire life? That my entire world is in the southside. That's where I was raised, where I grew up... my mom, my dad, Jughead, Jellybean.. that neighborhood is the last tangible piece I have left of them, until Hiram comes in with a bunch of bulldozers.."

"We see things different, Jade.. it makes me sick to think about our different opinions and perspectives.."

"Has it ever occurred to you that, you and your girlfriend are two trains running on the same track in opposite directions, destined to collide?"