Chapter Three - Our Lady Of Sorrows.

The rest of the ceremony is a blur for me, the coffin is closed and carried outside, everyone trails behind it as it winds through the graveyard and is lead to an empty plot. The vicar tells a final prayer that I don’t hear, and the coffin is lowered into the ground by ropes, and then flowers are handed out, to my surprise, they’re red roses, Donna gives a weak chuckle as she sees them, probably remembering the story I told earlier. 

  We drop our flowers into the hole, and then the gravediggers start to shovel the dirt back into the grave. 

  People start to leave then. Patting Donna’s shoulders as they walk past her, and then strolling back across the graveyard. Donna stays put though, so Mikey and I both do too. 

  The vicar leaves, and then Donna gives a sigh, looks at both Mikey and I who are standing on opposite sides of her. She smiles at the both of us and turns, walking back slowly through the graveyard, Mikey glances at me and together we follow her. 

  We get back to the courtyard outside the church and climb into the same car as before, the ride home feels much longer than the way here. 

  We sit in silence again, but this time we don’t hold hands, we don’t smile at each other encouragingly, we just sit silently. I have no idea what they are thinking, but I can’t feel anything. The emptiness in my chest almost overwhelms me, its strange, to think that emptiness can hurt, but it can, it really, really can. 

  When the car pulls to a stop, we file out, not many people have come back to Donna’s house, only her family, some of them are staying at here for the funeral and are leaving in a few days. 

  “I’m going to go home” I tell the two of them as they start towards their house. Donna looks back at me with raised eyebrows. 

  “You sure, honey?” she asks, I nod at her surely. I give Mikey a smile, and turn on my heel to walk across the street and into my home. As I walk through the door however, I’m met with the sight of Katherine stumbling down the stairs, a suitcase clattering down behind her. 

  “Oh, good I’m glad you got back in time” she gives a breathless smile as she finally reaches the ground floor. I frown at her “Remember I told you Hadley? That I’d be leaving straight after the funeral?” she asks me slowly. 

  I definitely don’t remember. She’s leaving? I’ve just buried my best friend and my own mother cant stay with me for five minutes? 

  “How can you?” I whisper. She sighs. 

  “I know it’s a bit soon, but maybe it will be good for you” she smiles, but I don’t buy it “Maybe being alone is a good thing” she says almost hopefully.

  “You’re so full of shit” I shake my head, going to walk past her, she snags my elbow. 

  “Don’t use that tone with me, Hadley Stone” she glares. 

  “Don’t use that tone with me, Katherine” I snap, she frowns “That stupid mothering tone, it really doesn’t suit you.” I scoff at her, then jerk my arm away, jogging up the stairs and then slamming my door once inside my room. 

  Once I am inside, I completely break down, tears come flooding from my eyes and suddenly its hard to breathe. I kick my boots off as I sob, then pull off the leather jacket, I struggle to get out of the dress, the zip is out of my reach so I trip my way over to my desk and knock things over until I find the scissors and hack the dress off of my body. By the time I’m done the pretty dress is left shredded on the floor. 

  Still crying, I go back and pick Gerard's jacket off the floor, I slide it onto my shoulders and collapse onto my bed. 

  I don’t know how long I lay here, crying and letting out low moans of pain. I don’t think anything, just let the tears come and allow my body to do whatever it wants. Which mostly consists of just curling into a ball and rocking slightly, still wrapped in his jacket.