Chapter Sixteen - Mama.

I have to stay in the hospital for another four days, to make sure my digestive system, liver and other vital organs are working properly. It sucks royally, the sheets are itchy, the food sucks, and there’s no wifi, apparently it could interfere with machines that could save peoples lives, seriously though, having no wifi around could take lives. 

  However, the itchy sheet thing gets easily solved, as after an hour of me complaining, Frank tells me to shut the fuck up and rings his mom, who promptly brings in Frank’s own bedding. Which is sweet of her, not to mention, on her way in she picks us up McDonalds. Which we are both seriously grateful for.

  Frank also solves the food situation, he brings tonnes of sweets and other nice things in from the café downstairs, so I definitely don’t starve to death. Although, he does have to be careful, because my liver was damaged by the amount of alcohol mixed with pills. And I’m restricted from drinking fizzy drinks, and even though I beg Frank, he denies me of this and remains firm in his decision. Even though I offer sexual favours, he spits out his drink at that point, and pretends to look interested before denying me again. 

  And unbelievably, Frank also solves the wifi problem, he (well, his mom) brings in his own laptop and we watch movies together. Surprisingly, we’re both really into horror movies. So while we're bored out of our minds, we manage to watch all the old horrors, like the Exorcism and original Nightmare on Elm Street. 

  It’s strange really, how easily we get along. I can suddenly see why Gerard liked him so much. He’s into rock music like me, he reads comic books like me, and reads loads of books too. So mostly, we spend our time fangirling with each other over Marvel characters and rock band’s latest tour dates. 

  Helena comes in, and when she sees me she bursts out crying, Frank conveniently makes an excuse and slips out of the room at this point, but I can’t protest at all because Helena is too busy trying to crush the air from my lungs. 

  She yells at me, like big time. She tells me that she has no idea what she would have done without me and how much she would have suffered. I do tell her that Katherine told me she gets paid, and she splutters so much she looks like a puffer fish. She tells me how sorry she is then, and she also vows to stop accepting money from Katherine, but we both know that she wont, we both know that Helena is selfish, but I cant deny she loves me. 

  Donna and Mikey arrive, and I witness something I’ve never seen before, Mikey, the gawky, poker-faced boy I’ve known since he was born, cries. Actual tears. Frank stays, mostly because he’s frozen in place from shock. Mikey hugs me even tighter than Helena. He doesn’t yell at me, but his voice is dangerous and low when he tells me never ever to do it again, I’m so shocked I quickly agree. 

  Donna walks in laden down with trays of baked goods. Frank hurries to help her and places the plates on the table next to my bed. Donna doesn’t yell or cry, but she hugs me tightly and spends the rest of the visit clutching my hand. 

  When they leave, Frank, who was sat in the far corner with ear phones shoved into his ears and a book in his lap, stands and looks after the two leaving, Mikey throws him a dark look over his shoulder. Frank quickly looks away, and when they round the corner, Frank rubs his jaw self-consciously, maybe that’s where Mikey punched him. 

  “Will you?” Frank asks as he moves forward to sit on the end of my bed, that’s where he’s taken to sitting, with my permission of course. He hops up onto the mattress, crossing his legs and letting the book he was reading fall onto the top of the sheets. 

  “What?” I reply, looking at the empty doorway silently, my mind still on the Way family, my god do I feel guilty, I paid them no thought when I was taking those pills, I should have done.