This Isn't Just A Dream

'A strange place... not one of my dreams...

'No, a place for you to learn and grow into what you are.

As I look around for the other voice in my dream I see her, the woman from the shop... in my dream and watching me with curious eyes... as though expecting me to do something.

'Why are we here? Why are YOU here?'

'I am here to guide you and teach you. I am here because you have been kept in the dark for too long. It is time for you to join us here. It is time for you to come home.'

Images pasted before my eyes and then suddenly they stopped. The picture it had stopped on was that of a man... he had bright yellow eyes that of which an animal would have, long crazy black hair that reached his eyes and long gleaming white teeth... everything about him gave off the impression of an animal.

Then the scene changed and it was a wolf. This wolf had the same bright eyes and long black hair... its teeth were protruding from its mouth, the bright white gleam of them easy to see.

'The man from before, he's the wolf here isn't he?'

'Of course. And the wolves who haunt your dreams are all people as well.'

'I figured that when they turned into humans before me.'

'I am sorry for not finding you earlier but as you must have guessed it's not all that easy finding a shifter.'

'A what?'

'A shifter my dear, a human with the ability to shape shift at will. Much like those who escorted you here, the only difference is that they were werewolves not shifters.'

'Umm okay? So what your trying to say is that if I wanted to I could turn into a bat or something, and that those 'people' who brought me here are werewolves... if that's true then why haven't I shifted yet? And why aren't there any other werewolves in our town?'

'Firstly you can't change into a bat because it all depends on your genetics as to what you turn into'

'If that's so then how am I shifter? As far as I know my parents aren't shifters.'

'Of course not the genes skip three generations, that's why you were so hard to find. Now back to your earlier questions, you haven't changed yet because you didn't know what you are. A shifter isn't able to shift until after they have learned what they are.'

'So what am I going to shift into then?'

'You'll just have to wait and see. Also the reason you have never seen one of us before is because all werewolves live in special forest like this one, most shifters live with them, then go out and buy the essentials for everyone every fortnight. But never from your town, always from different towns so as to not attract suspicion.'

'Okay I get it.'

The scene changes and I'm looking at a young lady with fiery red hair and crystal blue eyes, but it's her clothes that capture my attention. There that of another centaury, a long black dress and boots made for riding, her hair is up in a bun with long strands coming out and she has a fierce look in her eyes.

'That is your great-great-grandmother Alisa... in her human form. She was a wonderful girl, had three children by the age of twenty-five and was killed by a hunter when she twenty-seven... she was a red leopard and the hunter thought she would make a nice coat for his wife...'

'So what happened to the children?'

'Well of course we could have taken them in, but the townspeople would have come after them. It was bad enough that they all thought the mother had abandoned the three children but if they had simply disappeared into the night? No we had to leave them for the townspeople to take care of.'

Another picture is shown, this time of two teenage boys and a younger girl. The eldest looking boy was tall and skinny; he had hollowed eyes that were a bright blue and black hair that was long and tucked behind his ear. The other boy was smaller and not as skinny as his older brother, his eyes were brown and he seemed cheerful, unlike his brother. But the little girl was strange; she didn't look anything like her brothers. With animal like yellow eyes and a fiery red hair that stood out next to her siblings black hair, she had a powerful look to her. She seemed like someone who was meant to be in the wild, free to run and fly.

'These are your great-grandparents. The eldest boys name was Sam, the other was called Pete. And their sister, Annabel... she inherited her mother's looks, we even thought she may shift... but she never did.'

'So what happened to the three of them if Annabel never shifted? I know that Pete survived, he's my great-grandfather, even if he died before could meet him.'

'Annabel left; no one knows where she went. For all we know she could have shifted and is living in another forest like this one... or she's dead.'

'So what about Sam? I've never heard of him.'

'Sam is still alive, he got bit by a vampire only a week after this. He went to his own funeral, pretended he was killed in an attack. Of course people believed that he died in an attack, he was an easy target and was always alone, tall but skinny as he was he would have been an easy target for anyone, and he was... for a vampire.'

'My great-granddad is a vampire. My great-great-grandma was a red leopard. And I'm going to turn into something soon.'

'I know it's a lot to take in so I'll give you some time to---'

'THIS IS GOING TO BE AWSOME!!!'

'Pardon?'

She looked astonished and I couldn't blame her. But this was awesome and I was soo ready.

My life needed some excitement in it!!! This was my chance to finally live. This was my chance to do something, be someone.

'Let's go!!!'