Mission Suicide

*Taurieth POV *

 "A great host, you say?" Theoden asked Aragorn. We were in the great hall, listening to what Aragorn had to say. It had better be something important if he had to pretend to be dead for 2 whole days. Make that 2 and a half. 

 "Isengard is emptied," Aragorn replied. 

 Isengard is emptied. That wasn't something you hear every day. Saruman's been busy. 

 "How many?" The King asked. 

 "Ten thousand strong at least," I muttered. Theoden looked shocked. 

 "Ten thousand?" He asked again.

  "She's right." Aragorn supported me.

 "Saruman is not someone you should underestimate, King of Rohan. He is capable of many things that are beyond your thoughts," I said again, this time earning a few curious glances. How did I know this? Let's just say I had unfinished business with him. 

 "It is an army bred for one purpose; to destroy the world of men," Aragorn said. Speaking of men's destruction in front of men was quite ironical. Theoden was on the brink of a heart attack now, I presumed.

 "They will be here by nightfall if Saruman wants to destroy Rohan," I added. 

"Let them come!" he said, walking away, going to prepare for the inevitable battle. 

 "So this is what Gandalf was talking about? Few hundred men against ten thousand orcs? This is a clear suicide," I said to myself, hoping no one would hear. Unfortunately, all of them heard. By all of them, I meant Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas.

 "It is. Isn't it?" Gimli agreed with me.

 "It's their last chance of survival. And there is still hope," Aragorn said. I looked at him. Even though he said that I could see he was starting to doubting the chance of our survival too.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 "I want every man and strong lad able to bear arms to be ready for battle by nightfall," Theoden gave the order to a guard. He nodded and quickly went to gather... soldiers. We followed Theoden. He lead us outside a door, which was being hammered and barred to hold off the attack that will be here soon. One glance at it and I could tell that it wouldn't hold much if a few hundred orcs decided to pound against it. Or simply just blow it up. 

 "We will cover the causeway and the gate from above. No army has ever breached the Deeping Hall or set foot inside the Hornburg!" Theoden said. I looked around at the place. His plans just might work after all, if we were fighting with ordinary, mindless orcs and not battle-trained and armoured Uruk-hai.

 "These are no mindless orcs. These are Uruk-hai. Their armour is thick and shields broad," Gimli kindly said the fact I was thinking. 

 "I have fought many wars, master dwarf. I know how to defend my own keep," Theoden said and walked away, Aragorn and Legolas trailing behind him. I gave the grumbling dwarf a light pat on the shoulder. 

 "I agree with you, Gimli. He should not underestimate them," I said. "Let's see what else that King's got in his mind," I mumbled the last part to myself as Gimli and I trotted behind the rest of the group. 

 "They will break upon the fortress, like water on rock. Saruman's hordes will pillage and burn. We've seen it before. Crops can be resown, homes rebuilt. Within these walls, we will outlast them," Theoden said. Crops and homes? Was he serious? There was hardly anything to call crops here in this giant fortress of stone. 

 "They do not come to destroy Rohan's crops or villages. They come to destroy its people. Down to the last child! For once, will you have some sense knocked into you, or shall I knock it into you myself?" I said, feeling a slight anger rise in me. Aragorn gave me a look saying 'you shouldn't have said that' and I returned it with 'well someone had to say it'. Theoden turned around and faced me. 

 "What would you have me do, then? Look at my men. Their courage hangs by a thread. If this is to be our end, then I would have them make such an end as to be worthy of remembrance," Theoden said. Pride of mankind. What was wrong with them? I scoffed and shook my head at the level of ignorance I was hearing. 

 "Taurieth? Where are you going?" Legolas asked as I started to walk down the stairs, muttering some elvish curses, intended for the King.  

 "I'm getting out of here, dear Prince of Mirkwood! I've had enough talk with mortals for one day," I yelled frustrated and continued walking. I wasn't leaving Helm's deep, of course. I was going to try my best to keep my promise to Mithrandir. I was going to try my best to save them, to save my friends and myself. I found myself in the stables, walking over to Vaile, who once again cried in the joy of seeing me.

 "Hey, girl. Looks like we're going to a mission we might not come back. Are you with me?" At my question, my faithful friend looked into my eyes with a glance I knew too well.