Preparing For The Battle

**Italics are Elvish**

 *Taurieth POV*

 Women, children and the elders were sent to the caves. The boys started talking about battle strategies, something I've always thought as a rather foolish thing. You make all those plans before but when you actually come face to face with an orc, you have to pretty much rely on your instinct and strength. Especially if you were an untrained farmer. 

 "They can support the archers from above the gate," Aragorn said. 

 "Aragorn, you must rest. You are no use to us half alive," Greeny said as a matter of factly. 

 "For the first and hopefully the last, I agree with him. Get some rest, Dunedain. We don't need you joining a pile of dead bodies," I said. Aragorn turned around as if to say something, but was interrupted by another voice. 

 "Aragorn!" Eowyn shouted, running towards us. 

 "I'm to be sent with the women into the caves," she said as she stopped. She smiled seeing me which I returned. I caught the Prince of Mirkwood looking at me, but I ignored it. He could stare at me all day if he wanted. I couldn't care less. 

 "That's an honourable charge," Aragorn replied.

 "To mind the children. To find food and bedding when the men return. What renown is there in that?" Eowyn said back. Realizing that this conversation wasn't going to end any time soon and happily, I decided to slip away. I agreed with Eowyn, I really did. But the world wasn't a fair place. 

 "I'll be in the armoury if you guys need me," I said. I gave Eowyn a light pat on the shoulder as I walked away. 

 The armoury was full of people. Every man of Rohan seemed to be there, the youngest looking less than 20 years old. I couldn't spot many soldiers, all I could see were farmers and stable boys. How many of them will survive this night? It would be a miracle if even half of them survived. 

 Going to seat in a corner through many curious gazes, I took out my daggers, one by one, and started to sharpen them. I was halfway done my 5th one when the trio entered. 

 "Farmers, farriers, stable boys. These are no soldiers," Aragorn said.

 "Well, what did you expect? This isn't Rivendell, Aragorn. This is the world of mortals," I said without bothering to look up, still sharpening my daggers.

 "Most of them has seen too many winters," Gimli said.

 "Or too few," the Prince said. Aragorn looked at him and so did I. 

 "Look at them. They're frightened. I can see it in their eyes," he continued.

 "They're not the Guards of Mirkwood, dear Prince," I muttered under my breath. 

 "And they should be, three hundred... against ten thousand!"  Greeny shouted, suddenly changing to Sindarin.

 "They have better hope of defending themselves here than at Edoras," Aragorn said. 

 "Aragorn, they cannot win this fight. They are all going to die!"

 So that's what he was thinking. Well, a nice, big applause for the blondy figuring that out. 

 "Then I shall die as one of them!" Aragorn yelled. All the eyes in the armoury turned to us, surprised by the sudden outburst. 

 Oh, I see. There was a reason he was using Elvish. 

 Aragorn left. 

 "Let him go lad. Let him be," Gimli said as he stopped Greeny from going after him. I finished my last dagger. 

 "Some of us will live," I said as I made my way towards the door. "Saruman won't find destroying Rohan as easy as he thinks." I looked at the Elven Prince, right into his eyes, before taking my leave. 

 I don't know how, but I ended up bumping into Eowyn while searching for Aragorn. 

  "Taurieth! I am so sorry, I didn't see you there!" she exclaimed. Before I got a chance to say 'it's fine', she started talking. 

 "Why are you dressed like you are going to the war?" 

 "Because I am," I answered simply. Eowyn's eyes were flooding with anger in a second.  

 "You're a woman too. But why do you get to fight among them and I don't? We both know I fight as well as any other men out there! Why should I be held back while you slay our enemies?" She burst out. She was still not over that, wasn't she. 

 "You'll have your moment to shine, Eowyn. I promise. Just think of this as a mission, a task for you to clear in order for you to show those stupid men who's a better warrior," I said, trying my best to make her see this as a positive thing. I don't think I did a good job, but she seemed to have fallen for it.

 "How is it that my uncle doesn't forbid you from fighting?" she asked. 

 "I'd like to see him try," I scoffed. Eowyn let out a burst of small laughter. 

 "Be safe, Taurieth," she said as she pulled me into a hug. I was getting an awful lot of those these days. Meh. It felt nice. 

 "I will." 

 Just then, the sound of a clear horn rang through the busy hustles around us. It wasn't an orc horn. It was a sound somewhat familiar to my ears. 

 "I have to go," I said as I realized it was the horn of Lothlorien. Eowyn nodded, and I gave her a smile before running towards the gate. I reached the gate and saw an army of elves standing there, armed with golden bows and swords. A blond elf was talking, with a familiar voice. 

 "We come to honour that alliance." 

 I was sure I had heard that voice somewhere, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. 

"We are proud to fight alongside men once more." 

 As I got closer, his face became more clear. So did my memory. 

 "Haldir?" I said the name that popped into my mind. He looked at me, his eyes full of surprise. It was definitely Haldir. 

 "Taurieth?" He said unbelievably. I smiled widely as I ran towards him and pulled him into a hug. Haldir returned it, a little too tight for my liking, but I could breathe. He had always been a bone-crushing hugger. 

 "I did not expect to see you here, mellon nin," I said pulling away, a huge grin still on my face. 

 "Nor did I. Last time I saw you, you were yelling at lord Celeborn and running away," Haldir said. Oh, right. I had unfinished business with my uncle too.

 "More about that later. Good to see you," I said and hugged him one more time. We might have a chance of survival, with an army of elves on our side. 

 "No time for chit-chat, ya pointy ears! Let's get ready," Gimli grumbled as he pushed me with his axe.

 "Alright, alright! See you after this is all over," I said as I made my way towards the wall. 

 "Are you sure you'll be standing by then?" Haldir teased.

 "Ha, ha, ha. Very funny. Stay alive, Haldie." 

 "You could've picked a better spot," Gimli grunted as he struggled to see over the wall. I smirked. Dwarves and their short heights. 

 "Well, lad, whatever luck you live by, let's hope it lasts the night," Gimli said as Aragorn came towards us. 

 "Your friends are with you, Aragorn," Greeny said.

 "Let's hope they last the night," Gimli grunted again. Aragorn walked away after giving me a squeeze in the shoulder. I looked at him. His eyes were saying something like good luck. I smirked in return. 

 There were lightning and thunder. And it started to rain. Of course. What better thing than killing orcs in rain, wet to the bone? I didn't have much time to complain about my already soaked-in-rain-clothes because of an orc- no, I forgot, Uruk-hai army marching towards us.