Mirkwood

Taur e-ndaedelos. Forest of the Great Fear in Sindarin. Taur-nu-fuin. Forest under nightshade, also in Sindarin. Or simply Mirkwood. They used to call it Greenwood the Great. It was until evil started to grow in it. But now that Sauron was gone, defeated, blown up, I quietly hoped that it would be a Great Forest once more as we stopped at the beginning of the woods.

"Legend has it that no one who ventured there has ever returned," Gimli grumbled, his grip on the axe tightening. Legolas looked at him frowning. "It's a forest of darkness and evil."

"Legend has it that the spiders are fond of dwarf meat," I said smirking at him. Legolas let out a soft chuckle at the sight of Gimli's face.

I looked at the dark forest and took a deep breath. There was no reason to nervous or afraid or otherwise, right? It was a forest, just like Fangorn, except much bigger, scarier, and creepier. Not to mention where every single member of my family died, perished, burned to ashes.

"Are you sure you're ready?" Legolas asked.

"Of course I am. Besides, what could go wrong?" I answered, smiling. "Lead the way to your fancy palace, Greenleaf."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

After about 15 minutes in the forest, we came across three spiders. We took care of each one. I wondered why there were only three. And why there were any spiders.

"Since when did the spiders got so bold?" I asked, retrieving my arrow from between its eyes. "Don't they usually hang around that creepy old fortress?"

"Quite sometime now," Legolas answered. "I thought they would have left the forest."

"Quite some time? They were in every corner of the forest when my father crossed through these woods!" Gimli said. "They've been here at least for 100 years, I reckon."

Legolas ignored him and continued to lead us through the woods. It was a wonder how he managed to not get us lost. I mean, sure, there was a path in the woods, but it was hardly recognizable from the fallen leaves and dirt covering them.

"Here we are," Legolas said as we came to a halt. The entrance to the palace was huge. Four huge pillars and a huge door. I wondered how huge the palace was. I had no idea. And of course, there were two guards guarding the entrance.

"Durin's beard," Gimli murmured. "That's one gigantic door you got there, lad. Though I guarantee the Kingdom of Erebor is much greater than yours. "

"I wouldn't be so sure about that, Gimli," I said. "It's huge."

Legolas smirked at our reactions. "Welcome to Mirkwood."

The guards noticed us, or rather, noticed their blond prince, and sorta panicked.

"My prince! We are beyond glad to see you doing well," one of the guards said. "I see you have brought some companies with you."

I felt like I saw him somewhere, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. There was something familiar about his brown eyes.

"They're my friends," Legolas answered simply.

"Even the dwarf?" the guard asked. There was something familiar about his voice even.

"Even the dwarf."

"The King will not be pleased to have a dwarf and a stranger enter his kingdom, my prince," the other guard said.

Legolas save them a glare. "I will deal with the King. You will let them pass."

The guards both nodded and stood aside. And I finally realized where I had seen one of the guards by his sword. It had five leaves graved into its hilt, and that wasn't something you see every day.

"Glindir?"

The guard turned his head toward me and I was sure it was him. It's been a long time, but I'd recognize those caramel brown eyes anywhere.

"No way," Glindir said. "Taurieth?"

Then we both burst out laughing and hugging. The others stared at us, confused.

"You guys know each other?" Legolas asked.

"Glindir here," I started. "Used to teach me archery when I was a mere elfling. I had no idea he made it to the Royal Guard."

"It's been a long time," Glindir said. "Where were you? I couldn't find you in the woods."

"I left," I answered. Glindir raised an eyebrow but said nothing more, as he knew of the accident that took my sister's life.

"Well, good to see you again. Promise you'll tell me all about it before you leave, again," Glindir said.

"Promise."

And with that, we entered the Great Halls of Thranduil the Elvenking. I wondered how Thranduil would react to having a stranger and a dwarf inside his Kingdom.