Chapter 11

Percy's POV

I turn around, deciding to go ahead and just wait for Paul by the car. I hear Annabeth behind me, so I know she is fine. I walk towards the parking lot. I feel Annabeth grab my hand. As I leave the office, my demigod senses go off. I see a giant hellhound and a cyclops. I look at Annabeth, she nods twice. It means we each take one, but somewhere that no mortals will see, because it gets annoying when we are questioned. We don't know what you just saw. Sorry, ADHD.

I decide to take on the cyclops, the hellhound looks too much like Mrs. O'Leary.

"Percy?"

"Paul, not the best time?"

"Is that-"

"Not her, but one of her kind. Go, get out of here!"

Paul jumps in the car.

Paul's POV

I'm sitting in a car as my step-son and his girlfriend fight a monster. It was probably attracted by all the phone use. They look at eachother, and run to an ally, the monsters hot on their trail. I know Percy told me not to, but I follow them. I get out of the car and run after them. I get there just in time to see something that will scar me for the rest of my life. Just as Annabeth kills the hellhound, the cyclops raises his bat and hits Percy on the head. Annabeth and I scream at the same time. She starts going through his pockets, looking for ambrosia, but I put my hand on her shoulder, shaking my head. I have tears falling down my face.

"Annabeth, he....the blow...."

"NO! He can't! He promised..." she turns and cries into me as I wrap her in a hug. I hear a growl. The cyclops. Annabeth looks at me. I know what she wants.

"NO!"

"I'm sorry, Paul. Thank you. Tell everyone we love them and are together. Percy, as long as we are together, I love you."

She drops her knife and looks at the cyclops. He makes the second fatal swing of the day.

I scream.

I see an arrow fly, hitting the cyclops. Two more hit, making him erupt into dust.

"Who are you?"

"Paul Blofis, ste-" I stop myself, "ex-step-father of Percy Jackson." I turn around and see a girl in black and silver, her bow pointed at me.

"Ex?"

"He-- she-- they--," I take a deep breathe, and just move to the side. I watch her eyes go wide as she sees them, Percy and Annabeth dead. "They loved you."