5

after a terribly boring day at school, taehyung was finally back at his current 'home'. while he was heading to his room from his usual back door entrance, he heard yelling coming from up the stairs and he couldn't help but run over to the bottom steps to listen.

"what the fuck are you doing back so late?"

taehyung thought the voice sounded like an older man, possibly an angry dad who was scolding his child.

"i'm not late. school ended twenty minutes ago. it took me a little extra time to get home cause there was traffic."

almost immediately, taehyung's breath stopped.

he knew who that voice belonged to.

it was jungkook.

no doubt about it.

but he sounded different. he didn't sound cocky like he usually did. he sounded almost... weak... and scared.

"out of all the fucking houses," taehyung thought, rolling his eyes.

he continued listening, and jungkook's assumed dad only got angrier the more they spoke.

"well, you should've been back here when i fucking told you to be!" the man yelled.

taehyung just laughed silently to himself.

maybe it was a little fucked up, but hearing jungkook get told off for a change was ever so slightly enjoyable for taehyung.

he just wanted to get closer.

he had been bullied by jungkook for years and it would just be pure gold to see jungkook get pushed around for a change instead of himself.

tae quietly walked up the stairs and just barely peeked his head out from the doorframe.

he expected to see jungkook get yelled at, maybe even see him get grounded... or his phone taken away.

but what he actually saw made him stop in his tracks.

jungkook was leaned over the kitchen table. the man was hovered over him, hitting his back harshly over and over again with a long belt.

and jungkook was just laying there, flinching in pain with every hit, but he was still just taking it.

almost like it was... normal for him.

taehyung also noticed the several empty alcohol bottles on the counter a small ways away from them to add to the mess of a scene.

and it was shocking.

the belt looked like it was hitting his back forcefully- even over jungkook's shirt he knew it must have felt beyond painful. sure, he had heard of parents who raised a hand to their kids, but what jungkook's father was doing seemed like a new level of horrid. taehyung had never seen anything like it before.

it was terrifying.

it was the force... the look in his eyes... something about it was so dark and taehyung felt sick to his stomach.

"please stop!" jungkook pleaded.

"you want me to stop?"

"please stop, please!" jungkook begged, tears now streaming down his face.

"you ever pull that shit again and you're dead, you hear me?"

"yes," jungkook said, panting from the pain finally ending, "it won't happen again... i'm sorry."