* The Vows *

It was just the day. One of those perfect days, but better than that.

He knew that he had found the one.

Life was unwrapping treasures, and the road was long ahead.

And she was there. Oh boy, was she the one!

"It's time, Jay. We gotta go..."

He felt as if all the seconds and the minutes in his life had lead to this exact moment.

He took Hera's hand and gazed into her dark brown eyes.

"We're gonna take the Vows. Hera, we're - taking - the - Vows! Can you believe it?"

"I can't, actually. Better not overthink this or I might bail out at the last moment!"

"Mmmh well, maybe you should?"

"OK Mr Dryhten, this is your unique chance of living a wonderful, beautiful life with the most amazing woman on Planet Earth. Better seize your luck now... or I might get myself another handsome first-born!"

Upon saying this, Hera swiftly rushed out of the preparation room, her crystal-clear laugh cascading in the gardens. Jay ran after her and quickly caught her. He held her tight, breathing in the sweet scent of sandal permeating her body. The skin of her neck was as soft as the silky fabric of her dress. Her long brown hair brushed against his cheek.

He felt her shaking softly. He was shaking too.

"I'm so happy, Jay bird."

"I love you. I love you so much."

Jay was muttering a few other things in Hera's ear, when they heard the call. It was time.

Hand in hand, they entered the Hall. The ceremony venue was a silent, resonating place, impregnated with the dignity of the Vows, composed of see-through walls and ceiling that let all the beauty of the gardens stream in.

Hera and Jay walked up the aisle. The High Alderman, a strong hefty man with black hair, greeted them with a cheerful smile and a warm handshake. He was clad in a dark navy suit, the color of ceremonies. His voice was powerful and imperious, and his words echoed in the light-flooded venue.

"Jay Dryhten, Hera Dawn, we are here today because you solemnly took the decision to unite your destinies throughout your first life. Is this the truth?"

"Yes, this is the truth," answered the first-borns together.

"It is in GloCo's power to care for you and your family. There is no fear to have, no ailment to cure, no worry to nurture. The future unfolds in the most propitious way for both of you. And your Vows will seal the love you feel for each other. I solemnly remind you that the Vows are taken only once."

All Jay could do was look at his soulmate. He did not care about much now, save protecting her from the whole world. He could hardly believe his luck, and was feeling high, high above his own feelings, high above the ground. He felt like he was flying. He wanted to take her away with him. She was hers and he would never let her go.

"You will now repeat the Vows after me: I, Hera Dawn, am willingly taking you, Jay Dryhten, as my Companion for the next twenty-seven years, until you reach the term of your first life."

" I, Hera Dawn, am willingly taking you, Jay Dryhten, as my Companion for the next twenty-seven years, until you reach the term of your first life." Hera lowered her tone and looked down as she finished speaking.

"Now Mr Dryhten, if you will repeat: I, Jay Dryhten, am willingly taking you, Hera Dawn, as my Companion for the next twenty-seven years, until I reach the term of my first life."

"I, Jay Dryhten, am willingly taking you, Hera Dawn, as my Companion for the next twenty-seven years, until I reach the term of my first life."

"... and for ever after," added Jay under his breath.