Ananda

"Ananda, may I ask you something ? " Jay asked pleadingly.

"Sure, fire off Jay, " answered Ananda. "By the way, you look like you need another Frosty Fizz!" she added, her voice conjuring the image of a sparkling blue drink on the smooth surface of the table they were sitting at. With a gentle touch of the hand, she accepted the beverage.

All around them, people were coming and going, sitting down, standing up, placing orders, getting busy with casual chit-chat and afternoon drinks. The Composium's Restoration Piazza was one of the most amazing facilities you could think of. Towering ceilings dominated a boundless area composed of spaces and leisure lots of all possible sizes and shapes. Some were protected by shimmering awnings, some were huddled against luscious bright green Crystal Willows, others were grouped near the Composium's immense Swimming Grounds.

Laughter and talks were wafting upward, intermingling with the sound of splashes and waves and the scent of the Willows and salt water. The artificial sun provided just the right amount of warmth, and a flow of glorious light showered on all the colony-dwellers. At this time of the day, already, people were shifting into the entertainment phase of the day. GloCo had reached such an amount of providence for all, that a few hours of work were sufficient every day. Except for the High Intelligence Bureau of course, and a few other Restricted Areas employments.

"Well, it's about Starling," answered Jay, unconsciously lowering his voice.

"Hey, what did he get himself into ?" laughed Ananda, shaking her shoulder-length brown hair and rolling her almond-shaped hazelnut eyes. She pushed the freshly delivered Frosty Fizz toward Jay.

"Well he's been... He's been avoiding me lately, and I need to talk to him."

"Why, what happened ? Doesn't sound like Star..."

Ananda looked at Jay more intently. She knew he had been retrieved, and she felt sorry for him. He had been absent from work for a month and she had missed both his valuable help and his quiet, subdued company. She had heard a few things about retrieval, and it didn't sound all fun and games. More importantly, retrieval sounded like the last chance for highly exceptional re-scheming plans gone wrong. Jay needed comfort, and it wasn't right to bail on him. I wonder what the hell Star is thinking, leaving his buddy like that ! she reflected.

"We...mhhh... disagreed on something. He and I need to talk. Believe me, Ananda, it's important."

Poor guy, thought Ananda. Wait till I lay hands on Star !

"Why are you asking me, Jay ? Star's the most stubborn guy I've ever met. If he doesn't want to talk to you, then you'd better wait until he changes his mind..."

"I think you may be the only person who can convince him. If you tell him to reach out to me, maybe he will. Okay, maybe he won't... " added Jay, suddenly considering how obstinate his friend often was. " It's just that I know you two are very close."

"We're very close, hey ?"

"Yep... we guys talk, you know. Well, we did before we both begged to differ."

"How close are we, then ?" said Ananda, stressing each syllable and looking fixedly into Jay's eyes. Jay felt embarrassment rising and looked down at his drink. He had possibly said too much. He knew Star was fond of Ananda. He knew they had had a kind of funny relation for quite a while. Something always seemed to come up to ignite interest, and then something else always stopped those two in their tracks as soon as they seemed ready for a little more commitment. That's at least what Jay had gathered from his discussions with Starling. Those guys were very good friends, and obviously begged for more than friendship.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be prying or anything. I just know that you and Starling are very good friends, and that he appreciates you. I know you both have been running for the Galaxy Games too... and you do drive each other crazy, don't you ?" Jay added with a faint smile.

"Yes, he's a serious competitor and a very good friend. But he can be an insufferable prick sometimes ! Okay, I'll tell him to talk to you. I'll do my best. But he'll come back to you anyway. You two are as thick as thieves." Boy am I jealous of that !

"Thanks Ananda."

"You know what, we could go and meet Star now. I think he's training on the Swimming Grounds." You've been avoiding me too, Star. At least I can take a solid look at you. A little eye-candy never hurt anyone.

"Why not ? We've finished our work for today anyway. I might as well go for a swim too." It was the perfect place and situation to get to ask for Starling's help....again.

Ananda took a last gulp of her shiny blue drink. She got up with Jay, and they both headed to the Swimming Grounds.