Go to Sleep

Within the blink of an eye, twelve long hours elapsed, carrying dreams and fears, washing away numb feelings and tired sensations, igniting new hopes and kindling fresh aspirations.

After twelve uninterrupted hours of receiving continuous energy, both the vessel and his passengers woke up refreshed. The glowing lights became more intense, and the buzzing sound suddenly stopped. Starling threw away his mask and jumped on his feet, soon followed by Jay and Epos.

"Oh, what a restorative sleep! I feel much, much better," said Ananda.

"What, is it finished already?" exclaimed Osée.

"Is everybody ok?"

"I think so, Kiz," answered Jay.

"We've reached full capacity," added Epos. "We can't afford to wait. We need to leave now."

"Yes. GloCo will get us in no time if we hang around. Epos, let's start the time-distortion process."

As they began communicating with the vessel, a female voice echoed in the room.

Time-distortion was detected. This is in complete violation of GloCo's Laws. Self-destruction is required. IMMEDIATELY.

A shrill sound followed, and the Time-Distorter began vibrating more and more vehemently.

"He's in conflict. He doesn't know whether initiating destruction, or obeying us. Quick, we need to convince him. Let's join forces, now."

Starling, Jay, Osée, Ananda, Kizuna and Epos ran to the piloting quarters. Together, palms pressed against the Command Pad, they sent their best intentions, their dreams, and maybe their prayers. As the same female voice kept repeating her fatal warning, their imploring request went through the impenetrable soul of the animated vessel. Time seemed to stop, then a humming sound dominated GloCo's annoucement. Six lives were asking for mercy, and an answer was sent to them.

"Can't believe it. He's answering our request!"

Self-destruction aborted. Time-distortion initiated.

"Thank you," whispered Epos, gently touching the Command Pad. "We need to instruct him about our destination," he added.

"Take us back to Earth, please. Take us to where it all began. To our Mother Planet."

On the main display screen, in the centre of the Command Zone, an image of the Earth appeared. An ideal, perfect representation of what Earth used to be. Epos pressed the Pad repeatedly, his fingers gliding on the information provided.

We all know the Earth isn't that blue now.

"We need to get ready, quick! Let's get back to the HR!"

Once again, they settled in the Harvest Room.

"This time we all need to lie down. In case anything painful or unplanned happens, activate the Pad on your right. Otherwise, remain quiet, breathe slowly, and let the Dormancy Mode take over."

"Is it... painful?"

"Not that I know of. Awakening might be tougher, though. Our bodies will go into latency for an undetermined span of time. Time-distortion will affect us, surely. But according to Aura, nothing should happen that we're not able to handle."

"We'll experience nausea. Dizziness. Sore muscles," added Epos.

Instinctively, they chose couches that were close to each other. As he lay down, Jay felt the material reorganizing itself to support his body in the most comfortable way. Again, the lights went down, and blue dots glowed. Additional red dots appeared around every couch, and their flaming reverbations got caught in Kizuna's long hair. Jay realized they were lying side by side.

"Fear's our worst enemy. We'll reach our goal safely, I trust Aura on that," said Jay.

"We're used to crashing anyway!"

"Shut up, Star!"

"In case something goes wrong, I'm glad I got to meet you."

"So am I, Kiz."

Jay found Kizuna's hand and held it preciously. A wave of guilt instantly overwhelmed him. But something also kept him from letting go of her delicate, little hand.

Next to them, Epos frowned, and Osée swore under his breath.

Time-distortion in 5 seconds.

All of a sudden, everything blurred into lines and colours. An intense vibration reached the core of each body in the spaceship. A vibration that threatened to make every human aboard implode.

"Oh, fuck!"

4 seconds.

Then the vibration decreased, the momentary pain paved the way to an intense feeling of well being.

"Oh dear... Are you all okay guys?"

3 seconds.

The assuagement intensified. Jay felt his body dissolve. He became a stranger to his own physical sensations. But the emotions...

2 seconds.

Night was without. Night was within. Jay felt Kizuna's hand tightening around his. He could hardly see her in the semi darkness, but he sensed her fear and trust.

"That's it my friends. See you on Earth!"

A whirlpool of emotions rose for all the passengers. A wave of unsettling memories, and a forbidden surge of violent feelings. An abandonned surrogate father. A fake but beautiful existence. The past crying out to exist. A place to escape from. Vengeance. Guilt. A love not shared. A land, a country, a sense of belonging. Lost home. Lost children. A murdered brother. Friendship lost and gained. Rebellion. Despair. Pain. And above all, hope...

Epos turned to Jay. He knew he was holding hands with Kizuna.

Of course he does. He must feel so bad. Maybe he should know.

"Jay... There's something I should have told you."

"Epos? What do you mean?"

1 second.

An acceleration of emotions. Senseless bodies. A wave of sleep preying on them.

"It's about ..."

Epos fell into oblivion. At the same moment, they all disappeared from this time and space.

Night everywhere. Billions of stars shining. A spaceship gone invisible. The mystery of Time explored. Six lives waiting for their future. Finally, quiescence.

Infinite silence filled the Distorter, as they all disappeared from space itself.