A Mad Race

Although the Pod was extremely lightweight and fluid in its motion, its landing in the West Fields was sickening. They had all braced for the impact and knew what they had to do, but this shock was bigger than expected.

Dizzy and sprawling on the floor, it took them several lengthy seconds to admit they were all safe. Epos was the first the get up.

"Quick, hurry up. You need to get running now!"

Starling immediately took Ananda's hand. Although she was still mad at him, she didn't push him back. They headed through the sliding gates and jumped on the ground in a cloud of red dust, followed by Arende and Kizuna. Jay stayed behind, reluctant to leave. He called out to the group:

"We will come to get you."

"I know you will."

The last thing he saw was Kizuna's little salute and her brave smile before she disappeared into the Fields, in the direction of the Waste Zone. Was it the last time he saw her? He felt this characteristic, nesting fear inside him. The fear of loss... It was now a matter of seconds before they would all get caught or escape. But Jay knew he had become different: hopefully, no system would identify him. He had more time. He turned to Epos, frowning.

"No, I won't give you in."

His fate depended on the human being he hated the most. How could he trust his enemy, this man who showed no faith or mercy... This blond rat.

I hope Aura knew what he was doing.

"Yeah? Well, I don't trust you."

"Yep, I can't be trusted." Epos' evil grin was an invitation to fight, but Jay didn't move. Something was telling him Aura had to be right... Epos spoke again:

"The Restricted Area. The sooner the better. My life also depends on you, now. I hear them. Just get the hell away!"

A speedy jump onto the dusty soil. Tiny dry particles all over his hands, sticking to his damaged suit. Hiding behind the tall red leafy plants of the Fields. The soft buzz of the Retrievers' pod. A last look above his shoulder: Epos standing obediently beside the Retrievers, looking down. The now familiar, quiet and self-assured composure of GloCo's agents. Epos looking small and defeated for the first time. A mad race towards the Red City, which Jay had to fly over before reaching the Composium...

Jumping into a Utility Pod was easy and although he was prepared for it, it came as a shock not to be formally identified. As night was falling, Jay quickly travelled above the City. The peaceful atmosphere of the colony contrasted with the wild beats of his heart. Steadying his breath, he realized how unique and enjoyable it was not to have to exert permanent control over his feelings anymore.

You can't cure me. You can't catch me. You can't know how I feel.

The softly gleaming little blue lights, the large elongated streets, the gigantic flat buildings. The ballet of pods flying southwards, swarming near the Leisure Pod Centre. Thousands and thousands of twinkling lights in the City, indicating the high activity of Dream pods. In the hush of his vehicle, Jay contemplated the beauty of the Red City, its quiet, harmless activity. For an instant, he longed for the careless life experienced there. He wondered if he had ever really been careless. And free. He felt as if a whirlpool of emotions and experiences had left him stranded on the shore of B24. Could he ever reconcile the rush of boiling feelings and the hint of exhaustion that constantly merged inside his mind and body?

For an instant, Jay thought he was going to fall asleep. Asleep meant exposing himself to various kinds of dreams, dark and vivid, that left searing traces of happiness or pain on every inch of his skin. Alternating, always, between past and future. Sapphire lights were dancing before him, reminiscent of old departures. The Red City reigned below like a Queen of the desert, holding sway over dust and dryness in a quiet, subdued way.