Into Jay's Dream

Jay let his body rest on the smooth surface of the Dream Pod. He felt it instantly re-organizing its thousand million soft micro cells to match perfectly the shape of his body. Each and every of his muscles was sore and heavy, his right hand still throbbing from the bad punch he had given Starling. Somehow he still felt the swell of the Grounds against his chest. His heart was still beating fast. It was hard to believe there was such violence in him, such a thrashing rush of rage. And the most amazing part was that he craved for more.

The side wings stopped his leg muscles from twitching, and his arms came to a standstill after moving so aimlessly. The lid of the Dream Pod covered him from sight and plunged him into semi darkness. After all the madness of the last hours, Jay was now exposed to a crescendo of quiet undertones. He felt the low vibrations rippling through his whole frame, while a providential warmth was being diffused all around him. He felt pulled between his need for action, and his desire for peace, just like the past and the present were making a tug of war inside his tired soul. The Dream Pod was digging into his exhausted mind and talking to his deepest needs.

Jay closed his eyes, and implored for what he needed most.

The Dream Pod did as he wished.

**

I know it as soon as I open my eyes. No, I know it even before opening them. I know it from the smell of fresh waters and green ferns. I know it from the touch of the air, the cool light air, and the earth too. I am back. I know it. I am resting on the grass, on the edge of a wild little brook that finds its way through the forest. The Forest ! I look at my small hands, so small and tender...and bruised too. I am bare feet, and my legs are scrawny and scratched. I sit up and look upward at the tall trees. Before I can even stand, I feel a mighty push from behind, and I fall headfirst in the water.

"You had it coming!" chants a little voice.

Looking up I see the author of the mischief, and my heart is full again. I see the long mane of brown hair, the sparkling green eyes. I get up and start chasing after her.

There is no need to talk. I just run until I get her. Now it's her turn to fall in the water. All that matters is her laugh, cascading around me, fresher and purer than the mountain spring. I hear it rising up and overshadowing the birds and the wind. I hold her hand and help her out of the brook, and we both lie down in the grass, drenched to the bones and out of breath.

Sometimes speaking is useless. I turn on my right side to look at her, taking in the light on her pretty face, soaking in the fleeting image of her smile, her wet little arms, the drops of water falling from her lovely curls. I can even see tiny drops caught in her long eyelashes. But she doesn't care about the way she looks. All she wants is reading and running bare feet in the Forest. She is wild and doesn't want sweethearts. She says she doesn't like boys and wants to live with animals.

"Hera, you're...the most beautiful thing I've ever seen," I say, feeling foolish. I feel my cheeks burning.

"Jay, you're so not like the other boys," she answers, "promise you'll always be with me ."

"Always," I swear, lying on my back again.

Next thing I know, I stretch my arm and hold her hand in mine. It is so soft that I am afraid I might hurt it. My own hand feels so rough and big compared to hers. I don't ever want to hurt her. I don't ever want to lose her. When I'm older, I'll take the Vows with her. Nothing will draw us apart.

I hear a nightingale. The evening is stretching into fresh gusts of wind, carrying scents of pine trees and damp earth. The dewy Forest resonates with the black bird's high-pitched notes. It feels like the animal life is holding its breath to let this concert develop into an everlasting song of quiet happiness. I feel her hand holding tight to mine.

Finally she sighs and says : "Pfff...it's gonna be time."

"Oh no...wait a little..."

She bursts out laughing : "Oh you're so not reasonable !"

And then I lean towards her and kiss her on the cheek. Her skin is limpid and smooth. My heart beats wildly. Time has stopped.

**

The Dream Pod started buzzing slowly, and Jay suddenly opened his eyes. His blood was warm and his heart was a wild thing. He had probably been flying over the highest mountains, or swimming in the deepest blue seas. His body was telling him a story of exhilaration and happiness. He looked at his hands, unable to shake a lingering feeling of helplessness. His heart was telling him another story too, and he couldn't remember it.