Leaving or staying

"So, what's the matter with you?" asked Kizuna, sitting down next to Jay.

They had all been recovering, patching up their broken lives and mending their health, showered by the placid love and regular careful attentions of Aura Kite. Eight strange days had elapsed, and Epos was the only one still struggling to come to grips with his injuries, although his existence was now out of danger.

Eight days spent in a naturally carved cavern, hidden in the depths of a fresh, comfortable drapery of rocks, tucked away in the top part of a saffron-coloured towering mountain. Eight days away from all that had fashioned their existences so far. They had been sleeping the trauma away, interacting in this safe remote mineral haven, and exploring the surroundings as soon as they were able to walk again. Living with Starling's father was quite an amazing experience, since the man seemed to be able to read minds and foretell most remarks and questions. His medical knowledge and his wisdom were boundless, and everyone had surrendered to his irresistible guidance. Yet silence was still wrapped around the reasons of his presence in what he called the renegades' land, and noone had dared broach on that subject.

"Come on then, what is it that's troubling you?"

Jay looked at Kizuna, perplexed. The young woman didn't cease to surprise him and, quite against his own will, she reminded him immensely of Hera. Such a frail, graceful person, a stunning mix of courage and will... It was beauty combined with determination.

"Like, apart from being stranded in the desert with very little hope to cling to?"

"Come on... as if you didn't see what I mean...I noticed you don't like to talk about yourself, Jay. I see there's a lot of anger that's eating at you. And I know you have a bone to pick with this blond rat, as you call him." Kizuna's crystal-clear laugh resonated  behind them in the Cave. Jay winced as the singing notes awoke once again memories of an ancient life. "But... I'm sure there's something else... There's something off with Aura. He's a wonderful man, but he hasn't explained why he has been here alone all this time... And Jay, I feel there's something off... with you too."

"Thank you very much!"

"No, I didn't mean it that way! But I've seen the way you're holding back, the way you seem to be avoiding your friends... I remember what you said in the pod. You, being terminated. You, and Starling... I don't really understand what it is that drives you to be so lonely and angry sometimes, but to me, you're not a bad man. Even if GloCo says otherwise, you're not a freak."

"Thank you... for real." Jay looked straight into Kizuna's eyes. He had known her for a little more than a week, yet it felt as if the young woman had been with them for years. In this place, in the refuge that Aura Kite had chosen, the only master was silence. The only inhabitant was the wind which kept howling, singing, humming in a declination of awe-inspiring sounds all day long. In this wasteland, time elongated and people had to stick together as soon as they got out of their shelter. It was a splendid, yet merciless place.

"Kizuna... You should stop worrying for everyone. You and Ananda need to return to the Red City. You have a future there. We'll find a way to take you back with Arende. But Starling and I... it's gonna be a different story."

"What's the matter with Starling?"

"The more you'll know, the more unstable your life will become. And to be honest, there's a lot I need to find out on my own."

"Well well, guess who's back?" On the border of the giant cave stood Starling, Arende and Ananda, beaming, their outfits yellow with thin dust particles. The three of them had lost weight, the tone of their skin had gone a little darker, Starling's blond curls had grown wilder and dark circles under his eyes bore witness to his former injuries. Ananda's hair was lose and tangled, and Arende's beard had taken on larger proportions. Their silhouettes were clearly cut out against the glorious dark blue skies, as B24's largest sun was already sinking below endless lines of distant volcanoes. In this festival of orange, blue, yellow and white colours, it was hard to believe they had almost died several times. Their smiles told a different story.