Sunset

"We're all set, then?"

"Yes, we have been reviewing everything you need to know. If we leave now, we will be reaching Sulphur Bay in about three hours. This is where my Travel Pod is hidden. And this is where we will part, my friends." Saying this, Aura looked briefly at Starling. The latter ignored him completely.

Before sunrise, everyone had done their best to regain a normal composure. Hair combed, chins shaved. But GloCo wouldn't fail to notice the suntanned skins, the suits scorched and damaged here and there, and these silhouettes that were slightly too thin. Stories had been revised, as to where and how Kizuna and Arende had found shelter after the seismic event and struggled to bring their pod back to life. Starling and Ananda were to hide in the Waste Zone, a high-risk area but the only place where GloCo didn't deem it necessary to exert permanent control: after all, it was just a vast expanse of lands littered with debris waiting to be reconditioned.

As for Jay, he also knew exactly where to go and how to behave. Going unnoticed for a couple of hours would hopefully suffice to enter the Vessel District. This, and the company of Epos who was supposed to attract the attention and open a few gates and doors. This seemed to be a very unstable element in the whole scheme, but for an unknown reason, Aura had insisted that Epos could be relied on.

"We may as well leave then." Jay stood up. Two whole days had passed since he had faced death and returned. Although he still looked pale, he had never felt stronger and more alive. Gone were the pain and the doubts he had been experiencing since his arrival on B24. His memory was getting more and more complete. Although he didn't remember most details from his former life, he now recalled a few moments spent with Hera. He also remembered a place called The Forest, and vivid scenes from his childhood. During his coma, he had also relived his Vows and he now knew that Hera had been his soulmate since they were kids. What he had to do was now crystal-clear, and his new freedom gave him wings. Yes, he remembered a lot. It was a miracle...

As B24's smaller suns were shooting rays of light above the horizon, the little troop of renegades left the Cave, walking cautiously, their eyes riveted to the ground and following Aura's lead. Kizuna was the last to follow. As her companions were making their way down the mountain, she stopped for an instant and looked back at the Cave. She felt a pang in her heart, knowing this place had come to mean something special for her. She had always been uncommonly thoughtful and caring, and she knew that Aura would most likely die there. She was aware that they were leaving the only safe and comfortable haven they could dream of.

They were now moving ahead of their own troubles. There was a simpleness about life, that she seemed to have lost. Caring, saving, loving: her true nature still knew what she was breathing for, but worry and fear had made their grand entrance into her heart. She sighed heavily, turning her back on the Cave, and resumed her steps.

The Sulphur Lands were a place for lost souls. Deadly fumes, yellow smokes and white fumaroles hovered above a land of rocks and tiny, yellow weeds. As far as the eye could see, ranges of mountains soared and searing hot desert sands stretched into new vast replicating expanses. Aura, Jay, Arende, Starling, Ananda, Epos and Kizuna walked steadily for hours in the dancing morning light, absorbed in their silent thoughts. Suddenly Aura stopped, and they all knew they had reached their destination. The turquoise waters of Sulphur Bay were facing them, in a blue and yellow embrace. Aura pointed at a nearby cliff.

"This is where my pod is hidden. Follow me."

"Damn caves!" said Starling as his head hit the stones while they entered the dark retreat. Jay heard Kizuna's little crystal laugh cascading and bouncing against the walls of the cave, and once again, he felt this uneasy, awkward itch in his heart.

"Mind that bloody beast!" shouted Arende. Ananda and Epos jumped back as a creep's extremity brushed against Starling's leg. In the light still emitted by their suits, the animal's impossibly thin legs disappeared into the depths of the cave.

"What was that?" 

"This creature is a creep. It is totally harmless, but the way it looks may be a little startling." Aura smiled as he watched his companions' frightened expression. Creeps were almost the only living creature in the Sulphur Lands. They lived exclusively by the lake although they never came close to its deadly waters. The body of a creep was extremely small, a little round ball envelopped in dark grey thick skin, with two disproportionate legs on either side of its tiny abdomen.  Truth be told, those long flexible legs were very swift and agile, and about thirty times the size of the body they were attached to. Perched on those immense limbs, creeps were almost the height of an adult human being.

"Get anywhere near me again, and I'll kick your ass all right!" promised Starling.

"Well, YOU gave it quite a fright," assured Ananda.

Kizuna laughed again, and Jay felt his confidence shatter into pieces. He was undoubtedly reminded of Hera, and the impulse of drawing Kizuna into his arms horrified him. He was now free to feel strong emotions. The conflicting forces rising in him wouldn't trigger any warning notice from GloCo. He was a free man, free to suffer and make mistakes.

But I know what I want. Hera, I will find you, wherever you are now.

As the little troop discussed the unsettling aspect of creeps and Starling's obvious dislike for the cave's inhabitants, Kizuna turned back and winked at Jay. He instantly knew it wouldn't be easy to run after his dreams, while reality was standing there by him, perfect and unexpected.