2| A Porkchop Drowned in Cheetos

"Seriously?" I asked, completely annoyed

"What?" Tanner said, holding his hands up in defense. "I didn't do anything, man! All I did was—"

"Invite the entire girls volleyball team to my party this Friday," I finished his sentence. "Yeah. I know."

Tanner scratched the back of his neck. "Sorry, I didn't know—"

"That I wouldn't want Miss Antichrist showing up at my house?"

Tanner groaned, sitting back in his chair.

A group of us were chilling out in my backyard, aka the typical hangout spot. My backyard was huge with a gigantic porch, a large pool, a jacuzzi, and a huge yard with grass that somehow remained flawlessly vibrant green throughout the year. And yes, there was a volleyball net. But clearly I was going to have to take that down before Friday to avoid a spontaneous competition.

I was throwing a party on Friday night just because my parents were going to be out of town and someone needed to throw the first party of the year, anyway. So why not me? I had the best venue.

And Tanner, being the stupid idiot he is, decided to invite my arch-nemesis and the rest of her goddamn team.

"Cut him some slack, Noah," Jordan said. He was lying on the side of the pool soaking up the sun as usual. The boy lived for the warmth the sun provided naturally.

I scoffed. "Cut him some slack? Everyone knows, literally everyone, about me and Logan. We hate each other, we get in fights with each other, and we don't want to be around each other more than necessary!"

"Come on, dude. It's gonna be a big party, anyway, it's not like the 2 of you are gonna run into each other. You don't even need to acknowledge her," Jordan said.

"Fine," I grumbled, opening up my AP statistics textbook again. "I'm gonna study, so conversation over. No more distracting me, got it?"

The two of them nodded in response, and I turned my attention back to school and relentless studying.

The guys liked to hang out around my house because it was the biggest out of everyone's and it was almost always vacant. My parents were big business moguls, always traveling from state to state, making deals and all of that bullshit. It was a rare occasion that they would both be home for more than a couple of days.

Today marked the 2nd week in a row that they hadn't been home. Or, really, my dad came home a few days ago for 30 minutes to pack up a new suit that was delivered to our house. And then he was gone again.

It didn't matter much to me. Although, it did make me responsible for taking care of Amelia, my little sister. She was 6 years old and in the first grade, which meant that I had to drive her to school, pick her up, take her to her ballet practices, and feed her. It was a busy schedule, but I didn't mind. I would just study or hang out with my friends every chance I had. (It worked out really well when I could get Amelia in a carpool to school or ballet.)