47| The Stanford Scholarship

2 months after Christmas...

    "THAT'S it, Locke!" Coach Reid yelled from the sidelines

    Another point scored. We were playing Savannah High today and we were absolutely kicking their asses. It was the third and final set of the game (because I knew we were going to win and wouldn't go to a fourth set) and the score was 23-9. Yeah, we were annihilating them. Cayden could dig their balls up like a piece of cake, Jordan would set them perfectly to me or to Clay, and we would slam the ball down. The guys on the other team could barely pick half of our hits up. It was fantastic.

    Cayden went back to serve again and the ball went flying over the net. His serve was killer. The ball went straight to the floor, no one could pick it up. Yep, another point. Cayden went back to serve the final ball over the net, and this time they passed it to their setter. The guy set it to the outside and he hit it over the net. Except he hit it right towards Cayden. So clearly, Cayden dug up the ball with ease straight to Jordan and Jordan set it (so perfectly) to me. I took my approach... and BAM! The ball slammed straight down just past the ten foot-line. Porkchop ran over to me and picked me up, spinning me around and screaming before setting me down. He was insane. But we'd just won the game.

    After we high-fived the other team, the bleachers filled with our fellow high school peers crowded on the court to congratulate us. People kept coming up to me and telling me how good I did, and then they'd turn to Porkchop and say the same and move on. I appreciated all of the praise I was getting, but I was really only looking for one person. And she finally ran up to me, wrapping her arms around my neck and hugging me. Something I'd gotten used to.

    "You were amazing," Logan said and pulled away.

    I mock-flipped my hair. "Uh, duh. I know. I am pretty amazing."

    She slapped my arm and rolled her eyes. "You're too cocky," she said and turned to Porkchop. "You also did amazing."

    Porkchop grinned. "THANK YOU LOGAN!" He screamed, like literally screamed. Gracie then ran up and hugged him, which made him even happier. He stayed with her standing beside him, his arm wrapped around her shoulder. "So what? You guys wanna celebrate yet another win?"

    "Of course we do," I said. "How about we ask Cayden and Jeremy, too?"

    "Oh, they're celebrating on their own tonight," Logan said. "Cayden is meeting Jeremy's parents."

    Everyone's eyes widened. "Seriously?" I asked.

    "Jeremy's parents are good with keeping their secret for now," Logan said. "But we could ask Tanner and Bianca to come."

    Tanner and Bianca were dating again. They were one hundred percent the most on-again-off-again couple in the entire school. But they'd gotten back together on New Year's Eve, apparently ringing in the new year by... well... I'm sure you can imagine.