51| They Were Your Balls, Pierce

"STATE is today like I've told you for the billionth time," I said, packing up my backpack with hair ties, chapstick, and some snacks

"STATE is today like I've told you for the billionth time," I said, packing up my backpack with hair ties, chapstick, and some snacks. "So yes, I am going. Coach Reid wanted me to take stats."

"Fine," my mom said, sipping her coffee. "Just--"

"Be home by midnight and don't go out tomorrow?" I finished. "Don't worry, tomorrow is all about studying for my finals. I promise."

"Alright," my mom agreed. "Send me updates. I'd like to know how they do."

"They're gonna win, mom," I said, smiling.

"Just pray it goes better than your state..." My dad muttered.

They always had to say something offensive. I just sucked in a deep breath and zipped up my bag, throwing it over my shoulders. "Bye!" I exclaimed, practically sprinting out of the house.

I got into my car and immediately drove away. It was just past 8 in the morning and Noah and the team started their game at 10, but it was only 30 minutes away. I was making it a point to get their early, stopping by the cafe along the way to grab him some coffee. He had texted me about 20 times this morning:

NOAH: Caffeine.

NOAH: Caffeine I need it.

NOAH: That was bad grammar. Let me fix it. I need caffeine.

NOAH: I love you.

NOAH: But I would love you more if you brought me caffeine.

NOAH: Like coffee.

NOAH: Preferably espresso.

NOAH: With a dash of hazelnut flavoring.

NOAH: Only if you want.

NOAH: It would help me winnnnnnnnn.

NOAH: And then you'll love me because I'm a winnnnnnneerrrrrrrrr.

He was very weird in the mornings is what I'd learned. And he was also a bit needy, but it was okay. He was still hot. He'd called me this morning, too, after I didn't answer his texts right away. Let me just say, his morning voice was likely the hottest thing I'd ever heard in my life. Is that weird to say?

I was happy to get to see Noah play today. I'd tried to make it to most of his games, and obviously, I got to see him play at practice, but today was different. It was state. My state hadn't exactly gone as I'd wanted it to, but I was pretty positive that his would. And then we would have the party tonight to celebrate whether they won or lost like we had the last time.

I showed up to the arena where the boys were playing and headed inside. He told me to meet him in the hallway directly next to the gym, but when I got there, he wasn't there. I furrowed my eyebrows and looked around.