7| We All Wish we Could be Barbie Swan Lake

Cayden easily agreed to go to Amelia's recital with me

Cayden easily agreed to go to Amelia's recital with me. For some reason, he loved dance and ballet was apparently one of his favorites.

After Amelia's practice, she once again laughed at me for being soaking, and I drove her home. While I finished my homework, she played her Barbie pony video game. She even forced me to play with her for around 30 minutes, basically pulling me out of my intense studying and homework-doing. She said I needed a brain break. I think she was wise as shit.

And now, hours later, Cayden and I were sitting in the middle row of the recital, standing and clapping as the dancers took their final bow.

"Your sister's pretty good," Cayden whispered. "I mean, really good for her age."

"She'd love to hear that from you," I said.

"Then we should get backstage!" he exclaimed, then grabbed my hand and made his way out of the crowded aisle. I followed in step behind him with my hand clutched in his.

"You really need to stop finding excuses to hold my hand, Cayden," I teased.

As we made our way out of the crowd of people and to the backstage area, which was still empty, Cayden sighed. "I can't help it. They're just so soft and desirable!"

He let go of my hand and crossed his arms over his chest. "I do moisturize on the daily," I said, winking.

"Maybe I'm not the one flirting with you, Noah. Maybe it's actually the exact opposite."

"In your dreams, Cay." Parents were crowding in the backstage area now, and suddenly a crowd of screaming little girls ran in.

I was looking to spot Amelia, and I finally found her. Her light blonde hair was still in her tight bun on the top of her head, and when she saw me her eyes lit up. She ran over to me and screamed, "NOAH!" Amelia jumped into my arms and I picked her up, twirling her around before returning her to the ground.

"You did fantastic," I said. "Can I tell the difference between you and Barbie from Barbie Swan Lake? Absolutely not!"

Barbie Swan Lake was easily Amelia's favorite Barbie movie of all time. When Barbie would dance ballet in that movie, Amelia would go crazy. She would get up in the living room and start doing the exact same routine, practicing it until she had it down. We would have to rewind the movie like 10 times for her to do so.

"Yay!" she screamed. "Cayden is here, too!"

"Of course I am, Scout!" he exclaimed. "I wouldn't miss a chance to watch ballet for the world."

Amelia grinned. Cayden had always been her favorite friend of mine. She liked all of them, really (besides Troy because he freaked her out), but Cayden was just the best with her. I knew she would be excited to see him tonight.