8| An Ice Pack For my $5 Foot Long

MONDAY went by super fast. The day was almost over and no pranks had been pulled by me or Noah. I decided to leave the revenge pranks in last week, focusing more on volleyball and school this week. But to say I was surprised that Noah still hadn't gotten me back from this weekend would be an understatement. Though, I wasn't complaining. And Noah was definitely not the biggest topic on my mind.

Sitting in last period psych next to Gracie, I was eager to get to practice. Our first game was this week on Friday at home, and I was beyond excited and ready to kick some ass. Plus, we were playing Athens High, one of the worst teams in the league. Let's just say, it would be an easy win.

As the bell rang, I immediately sprung up from my seat and threw my backpack on my shoulders. Gracie did the same and we left the classroom, once again making our way to the locker room to get changed. Once we were ready to go, we headed to the gym to get our gear on, the sweet smell of the gym and volleyball gear that had been recently washed would soon fade away as practice took place. But even a sweeter smell would emerge — the smell of working your ass off: sweat and exhaustion.

"Pierce! Lockwood!" Coach yelled upon our entrance into the gym. "I gotta talk to you two for a minute."

Gracie looked at me and shrugged, so we made our way over to where he stood. "What's up?" I asked.

Coach D was one of the best coaches in the USA when it came to high school and club volleyball. He had won countless awards and he was known throughout the entire nation. He was a big-name. One of the reasons why our team was so good. He made us work hard, and it was all for good reason. Coach D loved winning even more than we did.

"Just wanted to let you know that we are going to be scrimmaging the boys' team tomorrow," Coach said, and I tensed. "Logan, I know you and Noah don't exactly get along—"

"Oh, they get along great," Gracie interrupted.

"Anyway, I don't want any trouble between the 2 of you," Coach finished. "No fights before practice, no fights at practice, and no fights after practice. Got it?"

I held up my hands defensively. "Fine, fine. As long as I don't have to set up the net."

Coach D laughed. "Nice try, Pierce. But you're not getting out of setting up the net just cause you don't get to fight with your little boyfriend."

"Ew, Coach. Just ew," I muttered. Gracie and Coach D were both laughing, and I took the time to excuse myself from their annoying teasing to put my gear on.

Every year, the boys team would scrimmage us and sometimes even practice with us, usually a few practices before our games or towards the end of our season and leading into their own. We were all extremely competitive with each other. We shit-talked, but there were never any fights that occurred — that is physical fights. I couldn't exactly say the same about verbal. When I was on the court, I was riled up. I wanted to win, and I was going to do anything and everything to do so. Because of my innate competitive nature, slightly insensitive or offensive murmurs would occasionally slip out of my mouth. Sue me for being passionate.