Part 4

"Doyou think I am crazy?" I said, staring at Jenna, who had justentered my bedroom while I sat on my bed. I was offered a promotionat the office that day, and I had not immediately accepted it.Instead, I had asked for time to think about it. I had updated Jennaduring the day, and she had sent me a closed-lipped smiley whichconveyed her emotions.

"Ofcourse, you are," she said, throwing her purse onto the nearesttable and sitting down on my bed, throwing all her weight on it. "Butwhen were you normal?" After a loud sigh, she asked, "Sowhat's your explanation this time?" She was well aware ofmy habit of not doing things like an average person, and every timeit came with an explanation.

"Thedepartment I am expected to move to is one of the worst in thefinance industry."

"Thedefinition of worst is very different for you, so give me a detailedexplanation."

"Well,it is an arm of the private equity that takes over companies. They,then scrap it to its skeleton, which means cutting costs on thingsand people, and when it turns profitable, they sell it."

"Thatdoes not sound so bad."

"Iam supposed to do the background work, or in simpler terms, I will beresponsible for firing people, putting people out of business, andleave them homeless."

"Ifyou refuse to take it, won't someone else do the same thing?"

Shehad a point. Even after a year of sharing the same apartment andbeing best friends, she always amused me with her thinking.

"Soif you don't do it, someone else will. If you take it, you will atleast have good pay to donate to some charity, and you will be ableto control the process of whom to fire."

"Itdoes not work that way, but you have a point."

"Didyou update your story today?" She had moved on to the next topicas she scrolled on her iPad. "Did you see how many people areloving your story?" She handed over her iPad to me.

"Ihope no one recognizes the characters."

"Why?"Jenna asked, surprised.

"Theirmemory may not be the same as mine. I don't want to hurt anyone."

"Thisis just a story, and I don't see how it can hurt anyone."

"Keepreading, and you will know what I mean. I'll try to be neutral inpresenting as much as I can."

"Intriguing,"she said, moving out of my bed. "Oh, I almost forgot, my mom'svisiting, and she has requested you to join us for dinner thisweekend."

"Iwould love that. That's so sweet of your mom." I sat up straightwith a smile as now there was something to look forward to. I alwaysloved meeting Jenna's parents. They divorced ten years ago butcontinued to live in the same city. Since they shared joint custody,Jenna split her days between her parents until she left for college.There always was a competition between her parents. I thought thatwas sweet, but sometimes it was exhausting for Jenna. Since her dadvisited her a few days ago, I was sure her mom would visit soon, andas expected, she did. Individually, both of them were lovely andcaring people. I wondered what made such sweet individuals turn toxicwhen they were together.

Thefirst day they walked into the school together as a couple withAiden's hand wrapped around her waist, the football team greeted themwith a cheer. Emma noticed a lot of stares thrown in her direction.Finally, when they reached her locker, and it was time to part, Aidenplanted a kiss on her cheek and whispered in her ear, "I wouldhave gone for the lips, but I know you do not want to drawattention." Emma smiled at how thoughtful her boyfriend was.